General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

win 2000 pro sharing files

by gd_0420 ·

ok i have a machine which has w2k pro and i can view files on a machine that has win 95 how can i go from the machine that has win 95 to view the files on the w2k machine every time i try i get this (computername)\IPC$ and doesnt let me log in i have given the guest and admin accounts same rights can anyone shed any light on this. i can see the computer name under network neighborhood but cant log in to it

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

by ec364 ·

In reply to win 2000 pro sharing files

You have to create a share in Win2K in order for users to have access to it. For example, create a folder which you would like users to have access to and put the files and other shared resources on the folder. Right-click the folder and click “Sharing.” Give it a name and give permissions to users.

Enjoy!

by gd_0420 ·

i have created a share already but when i try to acces the machine i get the IPC$ name instead of the computer name

by clpadmin ·

Dont use IPC$. Try (computername)\c$

by hasse mcse/brainbench ·

Hi!

As mentioned above first you need to create a share to connect to.

Open explorer and choose a dir on any harddrive, right click dir and choose sharing.

Choose a name for the share that you remember and set the rights as you want.

Either give guest account rights or create a user.

Now when booting windows 95 you login with a
      username.

Create a user on your w2k machine with the same name and it will be much easier to connect to shares on it.

Q: Why creating such an account ?
      A: Because when connect to a share from win95/98/ME you can’t specify user to connect as, instead windows sends the name you login to it with. If you set same passsword in both places you won’t even have to supply that when connecting to the share.

Now you can connect to the share from your win95 machine.

/Hasse

Viewing 2 reply threads