General discussion

Win 2000 Professional instability?

By dsgeorge ·
I've added DSL and Norton Internet Security (software firewall) to my system and noted times when the system seems more i/o bound than in the past. The system is an 800 Mhz Pentium III with 128 MB memory and has never limped in the past. For the first time I've seen it fail to buffer characters during incoming mail, etc. I've seen the system go through periodic lock-ups more often and tend to think Win 2000 has grown unstable. Anyone have any ideas as to what to do to "clean up" Win 2000, or is this tied to the way Win 2000 handles I/O with DSL?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by borisporosin In reply to Win 2000 Professional ins ...

The problem is not in DSL nor Win2000. The problem here is Norton Internet Security. If you install it, everything what is going to you is filtered and the program doesn`t handle it well. I would like to sugest you, uninstall Norton Internet Security (or get the latest version) and try another software firewall (for example winroute www.tinysoft.com).

Collapse -

by dsgeorge In reply to Win 2000 Professional ins ...

Apparently Norton has repaired it's problems as I've experienced no crashes lately

Collapse -

by calves In reply to Win 2000 Professional ins ...

I don't know NIS but I beleive on Symantec products. I think that b4 you uninstall the NIS, you should do a little be of reading and pay a visit to Symantec site. THere are ways to configure your firewall properly and get the best of it. A classic example is how you add directories to the Norton Utilities to speedup your computer. For example, if I use MSOffice a lot, I just include the whole Office folder into the exception option and Norton does not check any of the programs when I open them.
I suggest you learn more about your firewall and get the most out of it.

Good luck!

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by u12bet In reply to Win 2000 Professional ins ...

Dump the Norton firewall, as a security integrator I would not recommend this product to a client. Zone Alarm by Zone Labs is probably one of the best free software firewalls avaiable and might be a better solution to you needs. Black Ice Defenderis an excellent program if you are looking for a little bit more complex and secure firewall, it is alsdo software based. The granddaddy of them all and my personal choice is a combination software/hardware firewall, any watchguard product that does not rely on your machine for filtering and authenication. In addition most DSL providers offer very clean feeds that W2K handle very well from a protocol standpoint. Also W2K does have some built in firewall features that can be tweaked to make afairly secure machine with a little effort and patience.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by johnnyextreme In reply to Win 2000 Professional ins ...

Just agreeing with above answer - There's nothing wrong with your Win2K installation, nor your DSL. As above, dump the Norton firewall and download the free ZoneAlarm from ZoneLabs. It's actually better than every other software firewall outside of BlackIce. (See review in Sept. PC World)

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Software Forum
9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)