General discussion

Win 2000 SP4 Dynamic DNS update Problem

By dbye ·
We have a single domain Win 2K AD setup and have been experiencing problems with Dynamic DNS updates after installing SP4 on our workstations and clients.

On the server side: With our Domain Controllers at SP4. When we add a new DC to the domain (running SP4 before promotion) it does not update any of the service records and the DC cannot replicate with any of the other DCs in the domain. Our current servers are not affected as they were at SP3 when added to the Domain. If I take off SP4 then all the service records get updated and everything is fine.

On the Workstation side: We are running DHCP and SP3 workstations will update the DNS when they change IP addresses, but any workstation on SP4 does not dynamically update the DNS records.

All Servers are running Windows 2000 Server and all workstation are running Windows 2000 Professional. Is there an issue with Windows 2000 SP4? I cannot find anybody else on the Net that is reporting the same problem. Everything worked perfectly up until we deployed SP4.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Frank-MW In reply to Win 2000 SP4 Dynamic DNS ...

Change your DC to forward to DNS servers outside (public)and make all your workstations point to the DC's IP address for DNS resolution (e.g. set the DNS in your DHCP scope to your DC's IP address). No workstation in your domain can have DNS public IP adresses.(!) Only the IP address from your DC for DNS.
Go into DNS MMC, right click domain. In properties, select forwarders tab, add your ISP's DNS servers to forward DNS requests to.
No more issues with Dynamic DNS on workstations.

Collapse -

by dbye In reply to

Our issue is not with outside DNS servers or the Internet. Just locally and the problem only occurs when a workstation or server is at SP4. I uninstall SP4 (back to SP3) and everything works ok. The Dynamic DNS updating problem seems to follow the Service Pack.

Collapse -

Well, what are the DNS servers on your new DC and on your workstations?
SP4 might restrict your DNS setup, because it is not the correct way.
Is one DC the only DNS server on your LAN? I am curious.

Collapse -

by dbye In reply to

We have AD Integrated DNS, but it does not matter. I have backed it out to standard primary and secondary zones. We have all the forward and reverse lookup zones in correctly (with SP3 on the equipment), but once SP4 is applied dynamic updating no longer occurs. It seem as if the workstation/server(DC) (for service records only all server (DC) ip addresses are static) are not sending the update. The workstations will update their addresses in DHCP, but it does not change in DNS.

Collapse -

My answer is just to help you out. I get the feeling that your workstations get served more than one DNS server IP.
In W2K AD you cannot do that.
Just for me to learn from your experience;
Do your clients get served more than one DNS servers and if yes, are public DNS IPs (EG ISP DNS Servers) included in that?

Collapse -

by dbye In reply to

All of our workstations point to one DNS server (DC). There are no outside/public DNS servers. Thanks for the input as I have been pulling my hair out over this issue.

Back to Windows Forum
6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)