General discussion

WIN 2000 WON'T LET ME ADD A PRINT DRIVER

By mrjond ·
When I try to add a new print driver in windows 2000 I get an error message that says "Printer operation cannot continue due to lack of resources. The print subsystem is unavailable. I also get a program error message when I boot windows 2000 that says that spoolsv.exe has generated errors and will be closed by windows. You will need to restart the program. If you have any ideas as to how to correct this it would be greatly appreciated as my computer manuafacturer "Cybermax" techinical support is all but none existent.
Please respond to MRJOND@PRODIGY.NET
Thank you
Jon Damhof

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Aaron_Wurthmann In reply to WIN 2000 WON'T LET ME ADD ...

Again a printer issue. 1) Sometimes you have to be a local admin to add a printer. 2) Make sure that the vendor even supports Win2k. 3) Make sure that you have the VENDORS win2k driver. Don't rely on MSs they get those from the manufacture and don'talways test them.

Collapse -

by mrjond In reply to WIN 2000 WON'T LET ME ADD ...

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

I'm not sure you understood the question. I get the error immediately after clicking the add printer icon and can go no further in trying to add a printer. I am well aware that a windows 2000 print driver is necessary.

Collapse -

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

by Aaron_Wurthmann In reply to WIN 2000 WON'T LET ME ADD ...

Well in that case, the OS got miffed some where. You can try to install/reinstall Service Pack 1 to fix that, it is a loooonnnng shot, but my suspicion (can't spell, I'm getting tired, zzzzzzzzz) is that even that won't work. Again this all assumes that you have the proper rights to do any of that.

Collapse -

Collapse -

by tony.colgrove In reply to WIN 2000 WON'T LET ME ADD ...

Spoolsv.exe is the Print Spooler (Service). With that not running all printer activities are dead in the water. That is why you get the error trying to add printers. You can go into Administrative tools and disable the Print Spool Service from starting. Reboot and try starting it after the OS is fully loaded.
The spoolsv.exe is located in the %systemroot%\system32\ directory (c:\winnt\system32\spoolsv.exe), there is a spoolss.dll that goes with it in the same directory. You might want to replace these files from the original CD, or copy from another system.
Lastly SP1 might fix the problem also. I dont recall if the spooler service is updated or not. (My guess is yes).
Hope that helps.

Collapse -

Collapse -

This question was auto closed due to inactivity

Back to Windows Forum
9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)