Question

win 2003 boot file problem

By shettysunder ·
I have 2 satta drive .prmary has 3 parts with win 2003 standerd in C:.other hard disk is single partition .Primary disk is with win 2003.second disk is with windows Xp.After loading xp in second disk my win 2003 on c drive wont boot.When ever i select it just restarts pc with out any message????my boot note pad is
[Boot Loader]
Timeout=10
Default=C:\$WIN_NT$.~BT\BOOTSECT.DAT
[Operating Systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Server" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows Server 2003, Standard" /fastdetect

here in second line therse is windows 200 server.that is because first i loaded win 2000 server on hard disk 2 and then upgraded with Xp.If i started xp i can see all data in primary disk .Only thing it wont boot from win 2003 which was working before loadingXP
some give me suggestion how can i start this disk?any commond to check boot file in dos mode???

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

See if this is of any help

by Jacky Howe In reply to win 2003 boot file proble ...

If you want to boot to XP Pro as the default Operating System, modify your boot.ini to these settings which are explained later.
<br><br>
[Boot Loader]
<br>
Timeout=10
<br>
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
<br>
[operating systems]
<br>
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
<br>
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows Server 2003, Standard" /fastdetect
<br><br>
The first hard drive is represented by multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
<br>
Your second hard drive with XP Pro is represented by <b>default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS</b>
<br>
If you want to change the default drive to the Server change <b>default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS</b>
<br>
rdisk(0) is your Primary Hard Drive.
<br>
rdisk(1) is your Secondary Hard Drive.
<br>
partition(1) represents the Boot Partition on the Drive.
<br><br>
<i>Keep us informed as to your progress if you require further assistance.</i>
<br><br>
<br><br>
<font size="1"><i>If you think that any of the posts that have been made by all TR Members, have solved or contributed to solving the problem, please Mark them as <b>Helpful</b> so that others may benefit from the outcome. </i></font>

Collapse -

Dual Boot

by Mehul Bhai In reply to See if this is of any hel ...

If you want to dual boot (windows) a system you have to install the Previuosly released OS first than the Later OS. This is so because when you install the Next Operating System the installation overwrites the Boot Sector for the OS you install the last.
In your case it shou;d be Windows XP FIRST and then Windows 2003. In your case the Boot Sector of the system was overwritten by XP OS installation which is not recognizable by Windows 2003. Hence your system is not Booting Windows 2003. Microsoft upgrades the Boot Sector Sequence for every OS release.
We have even installed Triple Boot and even 4 OSes including Linux in which case Linux should be the last to be installed. In one case we have installed a system with Windows 2000, Windows XP & Windows 2003 but in the order I mentioned here & they all are working fine in the Machine.