General discussion

Win 2K Server in NT4 Domain 1000 pts!!

By Patrick Horn ·
I just installed a Win 2K server in my windows domain. I want to use it as my proxy server running Proxy 2.0 (no money in budget for ISA). My problem is that I cannot get my NT4 DNS to synchronize with my Win 2K server. I can log into the network from the 2K server, but none of the other machines can access the shared drives on the new server, nor can they get to the internet. How do I get this machine to allow the Primary controller to sync with it so that the other computers have internet access. I need my Exchange server to get to the internet.

Please help.....Thanks, Pat

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

14 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Joseph Moore In reply to Win 2K Server in NT4 Doma ...

I have a few questions, since your setup is not clear to me.
Did you join the Win2K server to the NT4 domain? Or did you run DCPROMO on the Win2K server so it would be a Domain Controller in its own domain? I can't tell from your description where the Win2K box is.
So, right-click on My Computer on the Win2K box, choose Properties -> Network Identification tab.
What does it say there?
Clearing this out will help.

Collapse -

by Joseph Moore In reply to

Ok, when you add the Win2K server to your NT4 domain, did you get an error message, or did it work?
Right click My Computer -> Properties -> Network Identification tab. What does it say under Domain? Is it the name of your NT4 domain?

Also, what machine name does the Win2K server have? Is it the same as any other machine in Server Manager on the NT4 PDC, even a machine you no longer have?
For example, if you had SERVER27 in the past as a NT4 domain member, then you got rid of the server, but the entry is still in Server Manager (it would be a light grey colour), then you will have problems setting up a new server with the same name. I think you would be able to add the new machine (with the SERVER27 machinename) to the domain successfully, but everytime you tried to access domain resources from it or try and connect to it from another domain member, you get error messages. This is due to the fact that the SID the old SERVER27 had would be different from the SID this new SERVER27 has. And since you would have a SID conflict, the domain trust between machine and domain would fail.

Collapse -

by Patrick Horn In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by Patrick Horn In reply to Win 2K Server in NT4 Doma ...

The 2000 Server is being added to an NT domain. I don't want it in it's own domain. The problem is the 2000 Server doesn't trust the other computers on the network.

Collapse -

by Patrick Horn In reply to Win 2K Server in NT4 Doma ...

I don't want this server as the PDC. I would prefer it as a BDC.

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to Win 2K Server in NT4 Doma ...

Wanna see Joseph's answer. He's the guru on this stuff.

Collapse -

Collapse -

by cedrictrappeniers In reply to Win 2K Server in NT4 Doma ...

is the new 2k server defined as gateway on the clients? or if you are using some autoscript(dhcp) you might need to adapt it?
hope this helps...

Collapse -

Collapse -

by timwalsh In reply to Win 2K Server in NT4 Doma ...

Not sure I understand totally. What on the Win2K server are you trying to synch your NT4 DNS to?

A Win2K server cannot act as a domain controller of any kind in an NT4 domain. If you ran dcpromo in an attempt to create a "BDC", things are already botched. Your best bet is to wipe the drive and start again from scratch.

Once Win2K is working correctly, you need to join the Win2K server to the NT4 domain.

Back to Windows Forum
14 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next