General discussion

Win 98 will not boot with Windows 2000

By Diplomat1 ·
Sorry I had to close the first instance of this question.

Win 98 on drive C with FAT16 was working fine . Installed Windows 2K for dual-boot on drive D with FAT32. Now when the laptop starts, it gives me the OS option but when Windows 98 is selected, it says it cannot find the OS. (IO error)

The hard drive is a single disk paritioned with the primary and logical partitions. I have checked the boot.ini file and the ARC entries are correct. Any ideas what could have gone wrong? I have sinceinstalled some stuff on Windows 2K and would not want to lose them as I no longer have the CDs.

The boot.ini files reads as follows:

[boot loader]
timeout=10
default=C:[operating systems]
C:\="Microsoft Windows"
multi<0>disk<0>rdisk<0>partition<2>\Winnt="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

My desktop PC is also dualbooted with both OSes and the boot.ini is identical to the one above yet Win 98 works just fine there.

Any ideas anyone?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Thorsten Matzner In reply to Win 98 will not boot with ...

It may help to reinstall Windows 98 on top of the existing files. Re-run the Windows 2000 Setup to restore the dual-boot mode afterwards.

(tm)

Collapse -

by Diplomat1 In reply to Win 98 will not boot with ...

Thanks for your imput; close but no cigars. I did finally got it to work but it is interesting to see what others come up with.

Collapse -

by Gary ChromaComp In reply to Win 98 will not boot with ...

Personally what I would do is uninstall Win 2000. Undual boot the machine by booting to a win98 boot disk then type sys c:. This should bring back your Win98 to the only OS on the machine. Make should you run the Win2K cd-rom install from 98 and install it on a completely different partition than 98. Maybe also think about converting the 98 drive to fat32 using the convert option in 98.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by cdobbin In reply to Win 98 will not boot with ...

Try running fdisk /mbr to reinitialize the master boot record and see if that helps.
Just a thought.

Collapse -

Tried that prior to posting but it did not work.

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)