Question

Win Server 2008 CAL's User vs Device

By lenk ·
I'm going to be helping a small school set up Server 2008 to act as a file server and also run some server based educational programs. There are about 40 computers through out the school. There will be a general Student account, General Teacher Account, a power user and administrator...only 4 accounts.

Can all 40 computers access the server at the same time if they are all logged in under one of those 4 accounts, and I have 4 User CAL's? Or am I going to need 40 device cal's? This is all very confusing and this isn't really explained anywhere. I guess it comes down to...does a user being logged in at more than one computer count as one "instance" or multiple..

Also, I read somewhere that only Terminal Services version enforces this? (and SBS in 2003). Is this true?

Thanks...

Len

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

You will need up to 40 CAL's

by OH Smeg In reply to Win Server 2008 CAL's Use ...

Depending on how many you already have but you should have 1 for each device that connects tot he Server.

As to if they are User or Device CALS this depends on what you are using and if you need to implement Terminal Services.

Also, I read somewhere that only Terminal Services version enforces this? (and SBS in 2003). Is this true?

No it isn't correct the base Server Platform enforces the number of computers that are connected at any one time. This may be helpful

http://www.microsoft.com/ebs/en/us/licensing-overview.aspx

Col

Back to Networks Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)