Question

Win SRV2003 Practice Guide on VMWARE Server

By Dolphin111 ·
Hello everyone,

I was told by the company management, that i will be replacing one of our Network Admin who resigned, and as such i should start preparing myself to work on Win server 2003 environment.
I did a course on win srv 2003 sometime back and never realy put it into practice and i forgot must of the things i learned since the course was more theory than practice.

A friend suggested i should use VMWARE server to get my hands on practice. I downloaded and installed vmware server, i also installed win xp pro, but i am bit reluctant installing win srv2003 due to the fact that there my be some issues i should consider before proceeding with the installation.

What i need to accomplish is: Install and configure win srv2003 as if it is in a company environment, install and configure AD, DNS, IIS, DHCP, Exchange server and what ever is necessary anyone can please suggest me what to include as well.

I am doing all this on my Laptop, is it possibel to run all the necessary servers and clients on this virtaul software in just one laptop as if it was in a corporate environment? If anyone as a guide on this please help.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

This all depends on how powerful your NB is

by OH Smeg In reply to Win SRV2003 Practice Guid ...

While not something I would be trying on any Note Book it is possible but I really would not suggest in a Virtual Environment as that has less hardware Resources available to it than the NB itself.

For full description read this Tech Net Article on 2003.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc706993(WS.10).aspx

You should also keep an Eye on Licensing as well just in case you get caught with a Unlicensed Copy of Windows. :0

http://blogs.technet.com/b/mattmcspirit/archive/2008/11/13/licensing-windows-server-in-a-virtual-environment.aspx

Col

Collapse -

NB Specs

by Dolphin111 In reply to This all depends on how p ...

My laptop is a HP Pavillion DV 3000 Entertainment PC, I had a look the site u posted, on Technet some links no longer exist but thanks for the help, anymore help is realy appreciated.

Thanks

Collapse -

And you have what

by seanferd In reply to NB Specs

as a native OS? I hope you have a powerful processor and boatloads of RAM.

Not sure how you are going to simulate an entire network environment this way - that will be the hard bit.

Collapse -

I Have

by Dolphin111 In reply to And you have what

Win 7 Ultimate, but i can downgrade it to XP or Win SRV2003 SP2.
Vmware server or Workstation.
NB Specs
3GB RAM Physical
Virtual Memory 5.99GB
Nvidia Geforce 9300M GS
HDD 200GB.
I thought the VMWare virtual software does the entire network environment simulation.

What do u recomend?

Collapse -

I personally would be loading 2003 and not bothering with the Virtual

by OH Smeg In reply to I Have

But as said above Simulating the Network is going to be the hard part.

VM Ware is only to Vitalize the Server or whatever OS you load it creates a Virtual OS not a Virtual Network.

Col

Back to Networks Forum
6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)