General discussion

win2000 boot cd freezes

By bkuyatt ·
I have PIV computer the has a blue screen winsrv.dll file error and we are trying to re-install win2000 pro on it but everytime we get to the setup screen from the win2000 cd or boot disks(floppy's) the keyboard stops responding or the computer freezes

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by lmaldonado In reply to win2000 boot cd freezes

Have you tried copying the I386 folder over to the drive and then runninhg it that way, do while still in Dos , i was having somewhat of the same issue and i just went old school and did it that way..

Collapse -

by bkuyatt In reply to

I can't get to dos prompt. Setup freezes just after you choose an option to repair or re-install.

Collapse -

by megaquark In reply to win2000 boot cd freezes

I had this problem once. I had to get a second hard drive, load window to it, apply the service packs, then install the old HD as a slave. I then was able to access the old disk to get the info off of it, reformatted it, and used it as a backup drive. Not sure if this is the "correct" way to handle it and I have no idea what the problem was, but it worked.

Collapse -

by bkuyatt In reply to

That didn't do the trick when we installed the second harddrive the setup program for win2k freezes up during installation. Cannot figure out why. We tried XP Pro and it froze also.

Collapse -

by MikeLazz In reply to win2000 boot cd freezes

It might be a bad hard drive. Go to the manufacturers website and download their diagnostics tool to scan the hard drive for errors.

Collapse -

by bkuyatt In reply to

We have tried 2 different hard drives and setup is freezing up on either drive.

Collapse -

by CLIFFL In reply to win2000 boot cd freezes

Try this, having put in the new drive ensure the old drive with the data is diconnected. Then fdisk and format the new drive and reinstall the software.
When done you can reconnect the old drive and copy the data accross. If the old drive is ntfs make sure you use the same system. If the old drive is fat then it does not matter.
Have fun
Cliff

Back to Windows Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)