General discussion

Win2000 & DOS Printing

By gemailhiot ·
System is win2000 single user.
Printer is Lexmark 2480 Forms Printer, set in 2480 mode as well as FX-850 and FX-1050 emulation modes.
Printing from a DOs Foxpro apllications results in truncated fields on report, loss of report headings, and extraneous characters on printout.

Since most other DOS apps print properly, I suspeect the problem rests with the Foxpro application.

Am I right? Or is there a possible wrokaround to this problem.

I have tried the reports with all three printermodes, with the same results. I have also tried running the program and printing for the Command Prompt - again, no success.

Thanks for your help,

Gilles Mailhiot

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Win2000 & DOS Printing

by gigsvoo In reply to Win2000 & DOS Printing

To test whether DOS bridges to printer, the simplest way is to do:

C>dir/w > print

or

C:\dir/w > lpt1

if the printout is OK, that is nothing to do with the cable nor the printer. Your isolation comes down to either FoxPro application or the printer driver. The above method does not rely to printer driver, it is a native printer bypass.

Collapse -

by gemailhiot In reply to Win2000 & DOS Printing

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

Win2000 & DOS Printing

by MallardtooXX In reply to Win2000 & DOS Printing

Gilles,
Is this printer over a network? If so, try using the Net Use command frop the cmd prompt. The syntax is as follows:

NET USE LPTx: \\server\printername

where x is the printer port number, server is the server or workstation name
that the printer is attached to, and printername is the printer or print
queue's name on the network.
since windows 2000 has do direct dos support this can help you out, most dos programs require a direct prot connection to print. Also FoxPro is very picky, you may try to isolate it and send all information from fox pro to one printer/pool especially since your oter dos apps are working fine.
good luck

Collapse -

Win2000 & DOS Printing

Sorry about that, I now see that you are asingle user and I should order hooked on phonics. Also I didn't mean to pst this twice. The net use command will allow you to see the connections on your computer though and may still help you with an LPT port.

Collapse -

Win2000 & DOS Printing

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

Win2000 & DOS Printing

Gilles,
Is this printer over a network? If so, try using the Net Use command frop the cmd prompt. The syntax is as follows:

NET USE LPTx: \\server\printername

where x is the printer port number, server is the server or workstation name
that the printer is attached to, and printername is the printer or print
queue's name on the network.
since windows 2000 has do direct dos support this can help you out, most dos programs require a direct prot connection to print. Also FoxPro is very picky, you may try to isolate it and send all information from fox pro to one printer/pool especially since your oter dos apps are working fine.
good luck
-duck

Collapse -

Win2000 & DOS Printing

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Desktop Forum
8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)