General discussion

Win2000 laptop troubles with standby

By Xaeryth ·
I have a Sony laptop that has Win2000 on it and whenever it tries to go into standby mode, it give a keyboard error. I tried reinstalling the advanced power management components and the keyboard drivers to no avail. Anyone have any other ideas on how to fix this problem? Thanks in advance for all replies. -Corey Hitchcock

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Xaeryth In reply to Win2000 laptop troubles w ...

Point value changed by question poster.

Collapse -

by xiopus In reply to Win2000 laptop troubles w ...

Just a guess - but maybe your laptop is not 100% compatable with the new ACPI standards W2k is written to. You might want to check with Sony for a bios upgrade.

Collapse -

This is the only laptop (out of around 50) that is experiencing this problem. The others have not been BIOS updated. Thanks anyway but I would appreciate it if you had any other ideas to offer. -Corey Hitchcock

Collapse -

by tsmulders In reply to Win2000 laptop troubles w ...

This behavior occurs because the Telephony API (TAPI) provider is not shut down during Hibernate or Standby. When the computer resumes, (RAS) tries to initialize the TAPI provider but the operation is unsuccessful because TAPI was never shut down.To resolve this issue, delete the Incoming Connections icon in Network and Dial-Up Connections, and then restart the computer.

Collapse -

Huh, are you sure you are answering my question. I have a keyboard error and standby never initializes.

Collapse -

by tsmulders In reply to Win2000 laptop troubles w ...

When you are using a computer running Microsoft Windows 2000, and you attempt to enter Hibernate or Standby mode, you may receive the following error message:
The device driver for the 'PC/AT Enhanced PS/2 Keyboard(101/102-Key)'device is preventing the machine from entering hibernation. Please close all applications and try again. If the problem persists, you may need to update this driver.
This can occur when a program installs a kernel mode driver that attaches itself to the standard keyboard driver (I8042prt.sys). Examples of programs that exhibit this behavior include the following:

Pgpdisk 6.02 and 6.5 (installs Pgpmemlock.sys and Pgpdisk.sys drivers)

Adobe Type Manager 4.0 (installs the Atmhelpr.sys driver)

The error message indicates that a program may have installed a kernel mode driver that attaches itself to the keyboard driver and which does not support Plug and Play I/O request packets (IRPs).

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)