General discussion

Win2000 Laptop Usage

By ryans5050 ·
We've got a user with a Dell laptop who is running Windows 2000 now. Windows NT 4.0 domain with a few hundred Windows 9x machines and a few NT 4.0 administrator PC's. When the user logs into the NT 4.0 domain from his laptop, he uses his NT 4.0 domain. However, what user should he log into when he is away from the domain and travelling with his laptop? The domain won't be avaiable, so it won't validate his NT 4.0 domain user account. So, he should use a local account to log into. But the problem with this is all of the local settings for that user will not be the same as his NT 4.0 domain account user (meaning his Profile folder). Any suggestions on how to properly set this scenario up so the user can have the same settings with both accounts or use the same account??

Thanks!

Ryan Smith, MCSE
Technical Manager
TransWorld Diversified Services
rsmith@trnsworld.com

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

11 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Win2000 Laptop Usage

by dft3 In reply to Win2000 Laptop Usage

You can copy the profile folder containing the settings for his domain account to the profile folder of his local account.

Collapse -

Win2000 Laptop Usage

by ryans5050 In reply to Win2000 Laptop Usage

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

Win2000 Laptop Usage

by jahaja In reply to Win2000 Laptop Usage

There should be no problem if you specify the Domain for the network when you set up the computer on the network the first time. When the regular user is logged inn once (and make his settings as he like) the machine keeps a cache of the account. Unplug the computer from the network and login as normal to the domain, magic will happen, he is granted access if the username and password is correct!

Ref article:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q235/4/80.ASP

Jan Haugseth
Senior engineer
Norway
datapro@online.no

Collapse -

Win2000 Laptop Usage

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

Win2000 Laptop Usage

by mphoffar In reply to Win2000 Laptop Usage

With all my laptops, I set the users to cache their profile under the systom properties - user profiles tab and then change type button.

In essence what this does is allow the user to access their desktop just like they were in the office...although they can not access any network resources until they6 establish their dialup.

If you want you can set a hardware profile in there to disable the nic, but I find that most people get confused (don't ask me why) about different profiles.

Good luck to you

Mark

Collapse -

Win2000 Laptop Usage

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

Win2000 Laptop Usage

by kwflick In reply to Win2000 Laptop Usage

There is a local Cached copy of the user's profile on any NT and W2K workstations. This allows the user to log in even when the domain is down. Your password is not validated against the domain, but it is validated on the local machine. W2k has an added feature of letting the user specify offline folder and file usage settings. The machine will look like it is connected to the network, but it is really not. Any changes made will be validated and updated the next time the user logs on to the Domain. To add the "virtual" folders and files you need to set them up in my network places in W2K.

It is ill advised to setup a local account for roaming when when there is a cached copy of the user's profile stored on the machine. You will get the annoying dialog box about the domain not being able to validate the password, but the machine will still let you in to your account.

Collapse -

Win2000 Laptop Usage

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

Win2000 Laptop Usage

by pherr In reply to Win2000 Laptop Usage

With W2K it knows when your off line. I have many W2k Laptops and all the user has to do is logon nornally, they also use offline files to have them in the field. with WINNT 4.0 you do get a Domain Controler Message, howerver everything funtions thesame.

Collapse -

Win2000 Laptop Usage

Poster rated this answer

Back to Windows Forum
11 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next