General discussion

Win2000 printer sharing for macs

By solf_beta ·
Hi,

I've got a windows 2000 Adv. Server that is running AppleTalk protocol and has Print Services for Macintosh running. I have several printers shared over the network. The printer shares work fine for all of our Microsoft clients (2000, NT 4.0, 9x), but the printers do not show up in the Macintosh Chooser. We have several Mac client machines that need access to these printers. Can anyone tell me why they don't show up in the Mac chooser and how to fix it? By the way, clients all have DHCP addresses, and the Macs CAN access shared folders on the same Win2000 server.

Thanks for your help!

-Bob

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by tyger07 In reply to Win2000 printer sharing f ...

I am assuming these are HP's. What MAC OS? Is Laserwriter 8 in the extensions folder? If your running OS 8.6/9.X you should be ok, if it's 7.x you have to use generic drivers. Try this if these are HP printers. Download JETADMIN for MAC. This will let you setup the printers and drivers. Make sure APPLETALK is on via the PRINTER control panel. Again I'm also assuming these are laser printers. Let me know if this helps you...Frank

Collapse -

by solf_beta In reply to Win2000 printer sharing f ...

Frank, your assumptions are correct in terms of them being HP laser printers. Mostly LaserJet 5000 N and a few Laserjet 4050 N printers. Where in the Printer control panel can I confirm Appletalk is running? I have confirmed it through the Network control panel, and file sharing works with the Mac clients from this server. And to answer your question, all of the Macs are running OS 9.x.
I don't want to download JetAdmin for MACs and install the printers on each separate Mac client, that is why I need to have them shared from a single server.

I appreciate your suggestions, but none have solved my problem.

-Bob

Collapse -

by espen In reply to Win2000 printer sharing f ...

It is not a good solution to enable
appletalk on the printer, because you will
get a far higher number of printer queues
running to the printer, hence the network
will be more messy, and can turn out to
be unstable. It will also increase the
broadcast traffic on the network - Hence.

Instead, make sure you have installed
Services for macintosh, and has enabled
appleshare on the printer. Select
laserwriter from the chooser - The macs
will then spool to the win2k server, and
use the NT drivers to actually format the
printjob. (Basically - the mac's will print to
the win2k server - The server will then
print the jobs, as a standard NT print job.)

Collapse -

I have tried the suggestions you made, but they failed to resolve the problem. The printers are still not available to macs.

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Mac OS Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)