General discussion

win2000 printer sharing with win9X

By rocky ho ·
My lab contains of 3 win9X systems and a new Win2000 Professional systems. HP LaserJet6L should be shared by all the computer systems attaching to the network belonging to the same workgroup but not connected to a server of the dept.( rather than using a physical switch). To share LJ6L from Win2K system , a "win2K Server CD" is needed. The new system come with CD but not "Server CD". It seems that there is no support from HP. What about Microsoft? Or I need to buy the win2K Server CD?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by RoadRunnerChaser In reply to win2000 printer sharing w ...

go to start - settings - printers,
then right click the printer - properties,
then go to the sharing tab - additional drivers button.

When you select the drivers you want to support keep in mind that you will need addition os disks, but not server. You will need which ever os driver you want it to support handy. For example if you check the box for intel windows 95 or 98, you will need the windows 95 or 98 cd-rom.

Win2k pro does support printer sharing. If there is any mis-guided info on this answer please let me know.

Collapse -

by rocky ho In reply to win2000 printer sharing w ...

I don't know what problem with my computer setup. When I followed the steps to add additional drivers (for window 95 and 98, it really prompts for a "win2000 Server CD-ROM". I tried to insert CD-ROM of win95 or win98 (which come with the computer), no use.

Collapse -

I figured our finally ... I can browse into the i386 folder to make it to proceed.

Alternatively, I can also find the software from hp homepage to install directly a LJ6L PCL driver into the win2000 system.

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)