Win2000 Pro Logon

By ejrust ·
Users configured as Domain Users on a W2K Server cannot use some local
programs on Win2K Pro workstations, i.e. MS Office 2000 Shortcut Bar won't
start, etc. However, when the Domain Admins group is added to the users the
local Win2K Pro workstation programs work fine when logged in under the
users accounts.

How do I resolve this?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Win2000 Pro Logon

by Marty2001 In reply to Win2000 Pro Logon

At the workstations, are the users local power users? I normally give users local administrator rights under local policy for the PC if power users is not enough. This means they have full rights to there PC and may not be what you want.

Collapse -

Win2000 Pro Logon

by ejrust In reply to Win2000 Pro Logon

We want to give them the appropriate rights of course. I also understand that I can give them power user rights on the local pc and they will have no problem. The problem I am having is to find a way to do that at the DC. With AD I see no reason in having to visit each client to add a user the local PC. Do you know of a way to do that in AD from the DC.

Collapse -

Win2000 Pro Logon

by cportman In reply to Win2000 Pro Logon

The only other thing you can do instead of visting each workstation is to add computer management into an mmc console and choose remote computers - once for each client on your network. This will save you some walking, but still is time consuming.
cp

Collapse -

Win2000 Pro Logon

When trying to connect to another computer in Computer Management, I get an error. The error is: Computer \\computername cannot be managed. The network path not found. I have tried to do this from the DC, member server and a client. All three giveme the same message. Can you help with this? I would really appreciate it.

Collapse -

Win2000 Pro Logon

by qsr In reply to Win2000 Pro Logon

Go to the lokal users on the workstation, dobble-click power-user, click add, select the user(group) on your domain you want to log in.

If you want to adminstrate from the server:

Make sure to publish snap-ins in active directory.

Collapse -

Win2000 Pro Logon

Ok I do want to be to administrate this from the server. But do I have to go to each PC and give them Power Users first. Is there a way to keep me from viisitng the local PC to do this? My main goal is to not have to run around to each client.

Collapse -

Win2000 Pro Logon

by qsr In reply to Win2000 Pro Logon

There is the way:

Click Start, click Run, type mmc.
Click Add/Remove Snap-in on the Console menu.
Click Add, click Computeradminstartion (2. from top of the list, click Add, search for the workstation, click Add and OK to close the dialog.
Click on Computeradministration, click System, click local Users+Groups, click Groups, click Power-User, click Add, add the domain-user (group).

You need to practise that with every workstation. By the way, you can handle that on a remote-computer, too.

Honestly, I wouldn't prefer described solution.

Collapse -

Win2000 Pro Logon

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

Win2000 Pro Logon

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)