General discussion

Win2000 pro on a NT 4.0 network

By zlitocook ·
One of our dept. keeps adding to his computers with out checking with us first! The computer is 2000 hardware ok. I need to add it back into the network. I went through the network neighborhood and added the IP, network id, default id. Through my computer I tried to change the name, it was the the wrong name by the installer. It said the name was already in use, so I removed the computer from the server. And tried a second time, now it says invalid user id. I logged in as admin I should have full rights to everything.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

10 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by zlitocook In reply to Win2000 pro on a NT 4.0 n ...

It turns out the first time I tried to add the computer it added the wrong id for it. So I removed the first computer and tried it. but now I get the computer is not found. Is there a special way to add a 2000 pro to an nt network?

Collapse -

by Numbies In reply to Win2000 pro on a NT 4.0 n ...

Try creating the computer account in Server Manager on one of the domain controllers. Then try joining the domain again, this often works due to security identifiers etc.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by gnsimkus In reply to Win2000 pro on a NT 4.0 n ...

You could have a number of problems. You really need to know how the dept configured 2000. If they went native mode, you are in deep trouble, because any other network will not recognise the config. Read/learn Active Directory. Check the PDC and BDC, transtive trusts. Web sites to check for help www.about.com type Active Directory and find site.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by p.fascia In reply to Win2000 pro on a NT 4.0 n ...

First, remove the computer from the domain, from server manager, and during the fiftheen minutes needed to the system to discover the change, go to the local machine, blank the local admin psw of the w2000 workstation, than move it to WORKGROUP, (out of the domain), reboot, enter with administrator and psw (blank) (I said to change it so only because often somebody is sure to remember is local admin psw and then when out of the domain it is no more what he thought). Wait ten minutes for the reaseon explined before (opten is not necessary), than go to control panel, system, network identification, network ID, (and not property), then follow the question, You will need to know the domain name, and the account of the user and psw, and than anaccount of a user that is able to add workstation to that domain. That's all!

Collapse -

This is some what correct I had to make a user when logging in to the network. The others were removed and I changed the name before rebooting. The user can connect to the network and see all the other computers. But still has to log in as admin tochange anything on his computer. I will try giving his user login full admin rights next to see if it helps. MS needs to look at these type's of problems when they put out the new O/S.

Collapse -

by timwalsh In reply to Win2000 pro on a NT 4.0 n ...

There should be nothing different about adding a Win2K Pro computer to an NT domain, although I have had problems in the past with creating an account on the server (through server manager) and then joining the computer to the domain from the workstation.
I suspect one part of the problem may be an issue of synchronization between the PDC and any BDCs. If you removed the (problem) computer account from the PDC but didn't force synchronization with your BDCs, the computer account still existed in the domain when you tried to recreate it.
I would suggest trying the following steps:
1. At the workstation, move the computer to a temporary workgroup (a reboot will be forced).
2. On the PDC (using server manager), remove the computer account. Force synchronization with all BDCs (allow a short period of time for thiis to happen.
3. Actually check the BDCs to ensure the problem account doesn't exist.
4. Log on to the problem computer as the computer administrator. Attempt torejoin the network using the credentials of a domain admin authorized to join computers to the domain.
5. If this doesn't work, check the Event Viewer on the problem computer to see what error messages are being generated. Also check the user rights of the credentials you are using to ensure you have the correct rights to add a computer.
Hope this helps.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
10 total posts (Page 1 of 1)