General discussion

Win2000 Professional Logon

By ejrust ·
I have a complete Windows 2000 network. One domain, Win2000 Server and all Win2000 Pro clients logging in.
Users can not load applications (EG McAfee Virus scan)on their PC's unless they are logged in with admin rights to the domain, or I add themas a user on the local PC. I want to take away the Admin rights, but I also do not want to go around to each PC and add users as local accounts. That would be very time consuming.
Does anyone have any idea on what I am missing here. Or maybe whatI am doing wrong.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by fosdal In reply to Win2000 Professional Logo ...

One possible solution would be to add the group Domain Users to the power users group on each of the PCs. This would remove the administrative rights from the user while still giving them the ability to run the applications. But you've also got tovisit each PC to make this change. Usually if users are having problems running applications, more often than not, the applications are legacy apps and not really compatible with win2k. Even with the legacy apps, adding the users as Power Users usually clears up the problem. Hope this helps, or at least guides you further in the right direction.

Collapse -

by ejrust In reply to Win2000 Professional Logo ...

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by pcsupport In reply to Win2000 Professional Logo ...

When you install eg Virusscan you will need to be logged in with Admin rights , locally or with the Domain Admin rights.
When you install Virusscan do you install it with Maximum or Standard security? If you use Maximum only Administrators can make changes.
Is the McShield SERVICE started on the clients? If not can you start it? Hope this helps . Matthew

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by LEGJ1 In reply to Win2000 Professional Logo ...

My friend, you are not utilizing the WIn2000 Server and its capabilities. Don't give your users anything greater than USER rights. Install your software remotely from the server to your clients. Beats the heck out of sneaker-netting. Obviously, if you have non-2000 clients, you may have to sneaker-net or use a login script for their installs. Good luck!

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)