General discussion

Win2000 Profile Not Saving - NT4 Network

By ububbaron ·
I administer a small WinNT4 network. Single domain, one NT4 Server as PDC. All 6 clients are NT4 Workstation. We added a Windows 2000 Pro client workstation. When the users of that Windows 2000 client log into the domain their profile will not save locally, unless I give them local Admin rights on that workstation (which I do not like to do!). The users in question are setup with non-roaming profiles. Under WinNT4, their profile would be saved locally on the client machine. With Win2000,they loose everything at logoff, including desktop and personal folders. Anybody know what might be the problem?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Rob Baugh In reply to Win2000 Profile Not Savin ...

W2K has tighter security than NT. You might try making these users Power Users. If this doesn't work you'll need to decrease the security level of the W2K machine.

Go to the Local Security Policy tool in the users admin tools. Right Click on Security Settings and select Import Policy. You will need to choose the compatws.inf file. Once you have done this go to a cmd prompt and type: secedit /refreshpolicy machine_policy.

That should fix your problem.

Good luck.

Collapse -

by ububbaron In reply to Win2000 Profile Not Savin ...

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by ububbaron In reply to Win2000 Profile Not Savin ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)