General discussion

Win2000 Server Recovery

By ndaray ·
I am running Win2000 Server RC2 for practice and I created a new partition. I was not given any choice to make this partition a logical drive. The slelection for a primary drive was preselected by the system. It warned that creating this primary drive will make the system load some system files in this drive, therefore before rebooting, the Boot.ini file must be changed. The partition number must be changed from (2) to (3)otherwise the machine will not boot-up. I changed the .ini file as suggested, but my computer could not boot again.

Q. How can I reboot this computer?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Win2000 Server Recovery

by guy In reply to Win2000 Server Recovery

1) Check precisely what error message you get on start up. If it is 'cannot find ntoskrnl' then you can use a bootable disk to get your sytstem back.
2) Format a floppy on another NT / Windows 2000 machine, copy ntldr, boot.ini and ntdetect.com.
3) You may have gone wrong by not removing the read only attribute from boot.ini, so be sure to remove the read only attribute, then edit the partition number as suggested from 2 to 3. Better still copy the line and paste 2/ 3 times and have one line saying partition 1, partition 2 etc.

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINNT="Windows NT Server Version 4.00"
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(4)\WINNT="IIS Windows NT Server Version 4.00"

Collapse -

Win2000 Server Recovery

by ndaray In reply to Win2000 Server Recovery

Thank you guys!

ndaray

Back to Windows Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)