General discussion

win2000 user profile configuration

By rhiegen ·
Hello Folks,

I'm installing Win2000 pro in a Win nt4.5 network. Now I need to configure the user profile in such a way I want to leave only the start menu with only one menu point to only the programs the user will use (settings menu and the others will vanish) and also to eliminate from the desktop /or make them inactive the icons such as mycomputer, networkneighbourhood, etc.
How do I know it, if I have to make it to be effective for a GROUP which has approximately 800 users.

Paulo

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by bla_alex In reply to win2000 user profile conf ...

in win2000 you can control the rights of the users.
You must be local logged in as administrater an you can change. all the setting in the registry.
you can change the settings as the user is logged in. --> go to the dos promt and type "runas:administrator Regedit"
and then type the password of the administrator. regedit opens and you can change the settings.

before you start it is usefull to take an win2k admin curses, that help a lot

good luck

Collapse -

by rhiegen In reply to win2000 user profile conf ...

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by bla_alex In reply to win2000 user profile conf ...

in win2000 you can control the rights of the users.
You must be local logged in as administrater an you can change. all the setting in the registry.
you can change the settings as the user is logged in. --> go to the dos promt and type "runas:administrator Regedit"
and then type the password of the administrator. regedit opens and you can change the settings.

before you start it is usefull to take an win2k admin curses, that help a lot

good luck

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by abubin In reply to win2000 user profile conf ...

it is much easier to implement this through GROUP POLICY (GP). GP is integrated into Active directory. Changes could be made easily from the domain controller or through ad administrator. Better than you change them through scripts for the registry.

But since you are using winnt network, this not possible. So, you will have to write scripts to change certain registry on each local machine base on users or groups.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)