General discussion

WIN2000 vs. WINXP

By gbalonek ·
We have approximately 25 PC's at work which have WIN2000. We will be opening another location soon and will need to buy about 6 more PC's. Is there a downside to continuing to use WIN2000?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by rindi1 In reply to WIN2000 vs. WINXP

M$ will not keep up support for win2000 indeffinitely.

Collapse -

by sgt_shultz In reply to WIN2000 vs. WINXP

stick with 2k. as apparently you are unfamiliar with xp. but if you were, imho, you would without question stay with win2k. also since you may need to remotely support new location so setting tehm up with os you don't know with eyes shut not very great idea. i wouldn't worry about ms dropping support for 2k anytime soon. or at least within 3 years which is lifetime of pcs anyhow. for new servers, get 2003 and get yourself an xp pro box so you can learn. ask them for training and for technet subscription

Collapse -

by aquias2000 In reply to WIN2000 vs. WINXP

My first question is, do you have Win2k licensing? If not then you may want to consider going to XP (although I do agree, prior to going to XP you NEED to get a test machine up and running, there are many differences).

The reason I'm asking, is because you can no longer purchase Win2k licensing. You have to purchase XP licenses and downgrade to Win2k. It's not overly much of a hassle, but it's tough to justify paying for one thing, while using the lesser version of it.

As for support, I agree with the above poster. Patches will keep coming out for the next two or more years for this OS.

Collapse -

by gbalonek In reply to WIN2000 vs. WINXP

It's my understanding that if I buy a PC with WINXP and decide to remove it and install WIN2000 that there are no licensing issues.

Collapse -

by gbalonek In reply to WIN2000 vs. WINXP

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)