General discussion

Win2K and Office 97 and 2000

By simonfuzz ·
This is a follow up to a question posted last week. Here is the full story.

Our Business just purchased a new Dell computer with Win 2K installed. Because of Hardware limitations on our older machines we have to install office 97 on them. However on the newer machines we install office 2000 with access 97. This is usually not a problem. Sometimes is says that access 97 does not have a license and we have to load a patch that will make this work. When installing the software like this I usually load Office 2000 and then Access 97 and it works just fine. Here is the problem.

On the new computer with win2k I have loaded office 2000. I then Loaded access 97. When i try and run access 97 I get the following messege.

"Microsoft Access can't start because there is no license for it on this machine"

I try to load the patch that I got from Microsft and I get the folowing messege.

"Setup was unable to detect a retail copy of Microsoft Access on this machine. Please rerun Microsoft Access setup. If this utility is still unable to detect Microsoft Access is installed on this machine, Please contact Microsoft Technical Support"

I have tried uninstalling both Access 97 and office 2000 and just installing Office 97 but I get the same messeges as above. If i just install office 2000 it all works fine but we need access 97 as half of the computers here are old and can not run office 2000. (most need bigger HD's)

The only thing i can think of is that there is something in the win2K install that is not letting the computer recognise the access install. Im trying to get around the problem with out having to install the OS again.

Any help would be great.

Simon Robertson

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

1 total post (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Win2K and Office 97 and 2000

by DKlippert In reply to Win2K and Office 97 and 2 ...

This may give you some information. It's not your case, but there is some good hints.
Type the Q number in the search box of Support.Microsoft.Com)

How to Install Access 97 and Access 2000 on the Same Computer

Q241141

Back to Software Forum
1 total post (Page 1 of 1)