General discussion

Win95 to Netware 3.12

By maduca ·
I am having a problem connecting to a netware 3.12 server from a Win 95 machine. I have installed Client for Netware and IPX protocol. I can see myself on the network,(through network neighborhood) but cannot see others or the server. I can also ping the loopback (127.0.0.1) and I get a reply. When I try mapping a drive I cannot. There are about 10 computers total on the network and all of them have no problems. The machine I am refering to just had the motherboard and a ram chip replaced. Everthing else seems fine except I cannot connect to the network or map to the "f" drive that they want to connect to. I was trained on Win NT so I am kind of lost here. Any help would be much appreciated in this matter. I kind of feel silly because I know NT so well, but can't perform this task on Windows 95. (time to read up on legacy systems). Please email me directly for more info. Thank you, Michael (duca607@yahoo.com)

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Win95 to Netware 3.12

by rws In reply to Win95 to Netware 3.12

It sounds like your problem is a Frame-Type issue. If you're PC is not using the same frame-type as the server, you will be unable to connect.

Check the file server to see what frame-type is bound. It's been a long time since I worked with 3.x,but you might try typing CONFIG at the console prompt on the server. If not, you'll have to refer to AUTOEXEC.NCF located in SYS:SYSTEM to find the frame-type. Then go to your workstation network control panel and select the IPX/SPX protocol. The advanced properties tab has an option for specifying the frame-type. Choose the one your server is using. 3.12 defaults to use 802.2, but if it was an upgrade from an older version it might be using 802.3. Be sure the frame-type matches and then you should be able to log into the server.

Hope it helps,

Bob Slimmer
Network Architect
Brainbench MVP for TCP/IP
http://www.brainbench.com

Collapse -

Win95 to Netware 3.12

by maduca In reply to Win95 to Netware 3.12
Collapse -

Win95 to Netware 3.12

by dsaim In reply to Win95 to Netware 3.12

Take a look at your net.cfg file and make sure that they still exist. They to connect manually. I don't think your configuration for you netware client is set up correctly. To connect manually start with these command in these procedure
LSL
IPXODI
3c90x(your network adapter)
VLM
From there you should be able to tell if you are trying to attach to the server or not. once attach change to your f: and login.
The main thing is to verified that your netware client is installed correctly. If you can't resolve the probleem then you need to contach someone with novell experience. I far as I know about novell; as long as those setting are correct you should be fine

Collapse -

Win95 to Netware 3.12

Collapse -

Win95 to Netware 3.12

by rcube In reply to Win95 to Netware 3.12

Have you checked the patch cable connecting the PC to the hub. Is the connection OK? If so, please check your Network Properties. Make sure your Primary Network Logon is Client for Netware Networks. If not, please have i changed. Restart your PC and if the network connections are OK and your LAN card is working fine, you should be prompted for a username, a password, and the server name to log-on to.

Collapse -

Win95 to Netware 3.12

I checked the cable and it was fine. I also discovered that behind the wall plate there was another wire running behind it rigged into the existing plate. The network is a total mess and I have a ton of work to do. A real pieced together job that has to be redone from the ground up. Thank you for your answer.

Collapse -

Win95 to Netware 3.12

by wirejockey In reply to Win95 to Netware 3.12

Right click on the "Network Neighborhood" icon and choose "Properties". Click on the "Client for Netware Networks" entry and click the properties button. Enter the file server's name in the "perferred server" field and make sure "F:" is the first network drive. You may want to check process login scripts also. Back on the main properties page, make "Client for Netware Networks" is default login.

Collapse -

Win95 to Netware 3.12

Thanks for the answer it was one of the things I already checked. Were on the same page, too bad the network I am working on is a total mess. I am discovering more patched together things as I go along.

Collapse -

Win95 to Netware 3.12

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)