General discussion

Win98 + Win2000 = ?

By Zeus who Frags ·
Is it possible to install Windows 98 on C:\Windows and Windows 2000 on C:\WinNT ( and not on ) without sharing the directory Program Files ?
I know I can install them on different partitions but I would prefer this solution if it doesn't mess thesystem!
Moreover, whatever the solution I choose, if I instal Win98 first and Win2000 after, will a menu be created automatically at the boot ?

Thanks.

"And so it begins..." (Kosh, Babylon5)

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

10 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Win98 + Win2000 = ?

by borisporosin In reply to Win98 + Win2000 = ?

It is possible to install the Win2000 over the Win98. The boot menu is possible also, but there are lot of problems. I tried it at first, but the speed of Win2k on FAT is terrible and the programs install itselfs everywhere. If you need to run Windows98 and Windows2000, install Win2k, then dowload vmware from www.vmware.com and install it on a virtual machine. If you have a lot of memory, you don`t need to partitione your disks,...

Collapse -

Win98 + Win2000 = ?

by Zeus who Frags In reply to Win98 + Win2000 = ?
Collapse -

Win98 + Win2000 = ?

by SyscoKid In reply to Win98 + Win2000 = ?

Complete instructions for setting up a dual-boot 98/2000 system are here:

http://www.worldowindows.com/dualboot2000.html

Yes, a menu will be created at boot. As far as sharing the Program Files folder, I'm not sure what you mean. If you wantto instal MS Office, for example, under both 98 and 2000, you have to install it while booted with each OS for it to register. If you don't want both OSes to use the same Program Files directory, you can use C:\Program Files and E:\Program Files, or whatever you want, but you're installing TWO copies of the program, thus doubling the disk space used.

Hope this helps!

Collapse -

Win98 + Win2000 = ?

Thanks for this great site I didn't know. The explanation there is perfect.

Collapse -

Win98 + Win2000 = ?

by dmiles In reply to Win98 + Win2000 = ?

It is possible to install in the same directory,yet the second part is the access to the directory will be shared now that WIN2000 does recognize Fat32,so it will be less of a problem to create on seperate partitions and then convert the file optionafter install.A boot option will be created when the system are installed.
I would install W2K first then WIN98,then change which system you want to boot first.
Reference www.microsoft.com/dual booting/technet

Collapse -

Win98 + Win2000 = ?

Collapse -

Win98 + Win2000 = ?

by TedBovis In reply to Win98 + Win2000 = ?

Not a Problem at all, I have a Laptop (yes a laptop) with a dual boot setup of Windows 98SE and 2000 Advanced server, ok so the server is not that fast but it does what I need being mobile. Anyway as long as you install 98 first and then select a clean install of 2000 you will be able to specify the location of the files, as for the Program files directory I would say NO, probably best not to try and install office on win98 and 2000 into the same directory I think that a few files will be overwritten, you will need to install it twice though, How big did you say that partition is ? Probably best to have a second partition and keep things seperate, you will then be able to convert to NTFS and play with that, Sysinternals have a util that allows you to read/write NTFS from 98 which works well (I've only used the read only version though)
Hope that helps a bit! Keep em seperate is my advice.

Collapse -

Win98 + Win2000 = ?

Collapse -

Win98 + Win2000 = ?

by Xtrapollis In reply to Win98 + Win2000 = ?

Thought that I'd add that you can specify a new Program Files directory (at least in Windows 2000.) Go to registry keyL:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ProgramFilesDir

I use this to keep all of my programs on a separate volume. This also reduces fragmentation problems greatly.

Collapse -

Win98 + Win2000 = ?

Back to Desktop Forum
10 total posts (Page 1 of 1)