General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

Window2000 freeze up

by scott.kealy ·

I have a problem with a win2k sp4 pc that freezes once a program is executed.

The pc resides on a network(LAN)via a hub with a win2k server.

The event log contains a win32time error stating “the NTP server ‘my servers nsme’ did not respond”.each time the pc freezes.

Is this error a consequence of the freeze up or the cause, if it is the cause do you have any suggestions?

Note I have tryed another win2k pc with the same network settings and that works fine.

Many thanks

Scott

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

Reply To: Window2000 freeze up

by rewrite ·

In reply to Window2000 freeze up

I would start by checking the physical connections. Replace the network cable with a known good cable. Change port on the hub this pc connects to to a known good port. Swap out the nic with a known good nic. Timeout errors are usually due to poor performance somewhere along the physical route.

To start with, you could take the workstation to a location where there is a workstation that is working properly and hook the workstation up there. Then the only difference in the equation is the workstation. If it still performs as stated above then replace the nic first.

Cheers.

RW

Reply To: Window2000 freeze up

by vansijll ·

In reply to Window2000 freeze up

No, if the NTP-client (Time-protocol) hungs for connecting towards a NTP-Server, it should NEVER respond in that kind of way that the complete system “freezes”, I rather would check you DNS-IP-Addresses settings that you use to resolve all Dynamic Names that you uses on the Network/Internet. Win2k and XP, has a kind of Network-path-searching each time the EXPLORER.EXE and/or IEXPLORE.EXE has to startup, because (in-)directly you want so, by activating anything. W.o.w: The systems searches his answers at the wrong addresses, while there a timeout for this, the system responds to late, and you will notice a “freeze”.

Viewing 1 reply thread