Question

Windows 2000

By natestjimmy2021 ·
Hi, i usually dont cause this kind of thing and can usually fix them but this is being nothing short of difficult for me. my fathers computer was begining to run slower and slower due to viruses, adware, fragmented files on his HDD, HD being full, ect. i asked him if he had anything on the Hdd that he wanted to save but he didnt, so i reloaded O/S for him to give him a fresh start. he doesnt have a bootable CD-ROM drive so i have to use boot disks. after 2000 was fully installed i put on a few programs for him that i know to work. after rebooting his pc to finalize the installations i got a BSoD.
"STOP: c0000221 Unkniwn Hard Error
\SystemRooSystem32\ntdll.dll

IF this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any Windows 2000 updates you might need.

If problem continues, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select advanced startup options, and then select safe mode.

refer to your getting started manual for more information on troubleshooting stop errors."

i tried rebooting into all the safe modes, tried last known config, tried startup disks to repair O/S, i even tried gicing him a new HDD but still got a BSoD with a different message (i knew that 2nd HDD had gotten dropped a few times so i wasn't surprized it didnt work)

i dont really want to try anything else without getting a 2nd opinion because i dont want to cause any more dammage. any help at all will be greatly appreaciated.

thank you.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Did you.......

by ThumbsUp2 In reply to Windows 2000

.... wipe the hard drive and do a clean install, or just install over top of the other stuff that was still there? You need to wipe the drive (delete the partitions) and start over so setup can format it to elliminate bad blocks.

Also, be sure to apply all MS service packs and patches before attempting to install ANY software (except anti-virus).

Collapse -

not completly sure....

by natestjimmy2021 In reply to Windows 2000

there was only a single partition so i selected it to install on, it asked if i wanted to use the original windows file folder, create a new one or make a new partition, i selected to create new folder, the install went through normally but when it finished i still had a lot of the software files in the program files folder. none of the programs were listed under the add/remove programs menu and none of the documents or music was there so i deleted the program files folders (yahoo toolbar, google earth, ect) then i installed my anti virus and nero b4 rebooting

Collapse -

fixed it

by natestjimmy2021 In reply to Windows 2000

dont u hate it when its a simple solution that u should've realized in the beggining, i got it to work now, when i had made the boot disks on my laptop there were 2 boot disk creation files i just remembered it and tried the other one, HDD formatted completely and O/S installed fine. thanks again for your help.

Back to Hardware Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  

Related Forums