General discussion

windows 2000

By Mikki40 ·
Hello,

I just recently decided to upgrade one of my user workstations to Windows 2000 which seems to be operating fine the only problem I am having is I can't get this workstation up on the internet. Although I can access my email which is on theinternet.

My network consists of 1-NT server which assigns the users permissions, 1 internet server which is running Win98 which acts as my internet gateway. On the internet gateway I have fatpipe software which allows multiple users to log onto the internet at the same time even though we only pay for 2 dialup connections.
When I set up a user PC I assign the IP address, subnet mask, and I have to type in the gateway for the internet server, I then add in our internet provider DNS and I usally get right on. But with win2000 it isn't happening. I'm assigning the same infor I would on any other PC in my organization. Any advice or Ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks
Maureen
emmauma@banet.net

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

windows 2000

by shmaltz In reply to windows 2000

Make sure the settings in Internet Explorer are set correctly goto Internet Options (its in one of the menu in IE but on each version its in a different place, in IE 5.5 its under tools) and then click connection and select automatic detect proxy settings.

Collapse -

windows 2000

by Mikki40 In reply to windows 2000

Thank you for responding but that was the very first thing I tried. I think my problem is related to the fatpipe software that we use. For some reason that is not compatible with win2000. Will have to do some research.

Collapse -

windows 2000

by OriDjinn In reply to windows 2000

I was doing some research on this and found that "FatPiPe" is not compatible with Windows 2000 pipe standards. If I may give a solution to your problem, I would suggest that you try using a product called "Wingate". It is put out by a company by the name Deerfield. It works as an Internet Connection Sharing/Proxy Server and allows for user maintenance (You can restrict users where they go). The other benefit is that this is a fairly inexpensive product ($100-200). I hope this will help you.

http://wingate.deerfield.com/

Collapse -

windows 2000

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

windows 2000

This question was closed by the author

Back to Networks Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)