General discussion

Windows 2000

By pwiltshire ·
Yesterday our PDC (NT4)crashed with a major disk problem. The long and the short of it is that i had to format and reinstall which went fine. But one of our standalone servers couldnt logon to the newly reinstalled PDC, so to get it back in to the domain i took it out of the domain and back in to a workgroup but after i rebooted the server it will not logon on to it with the local admin account is there any way of getting it to logon to the machine locally. The server in question is running windows 2000.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

can you clarify?

by Klingon In reply to Windows 2000

Sorry, but that gigantic run-on sentence is making my brain hurt. :-)

You took it out of the domain, and put the win2k standalone in it's own workgroup. Then rebooted. Now you can't even log on to the machine?

Collapse -

Windows 2000

by oholland In reply to Windows 2000

The long and short of this is: You must have a BDC on your network. When your PDC fails, you promote the BDC to PDC then rebuild the bad PDC. This rebuild PDC will join the network as a BDC then promote it to it's original PDC role. Simply put, you lost the PDC data base and was unable to gain access to the domain.

Collapse -

Windows 2000

by pwiltshire In reply to Windows 2000

Unfortunately the BDC was also affected in the same way. What are the chances of both the PDC and BDC becoming corrupted??

I?ve since gained access to the servers by using an Emergency Repair Disk from a known good Windows 2000 server, which wasn?t placed on the network, yet! I then ran the Windows 2000 set-up and selected repair from the set-up options I then selected to repair the SAM database only. This worked well, as it gave me access to the machine and finally to reintroduce it to the domain. I?ve now since copied all data of the machine and rebuilt the server from scratch.

Thanks for your help anyway.

Cheers

Back to IT Employment Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)