General discussion

Windows 2000 Active Directory

By MMerchant ·
Okay so here's my problem. I set up my Windows 2000 Server Machine with active directory and joined all the desktops just fine and everything worked dandy. But now, I formatted my notebook, and tried rejoining my domain but it wont let me. I don't understand why. Grabbed another hd installed W2K server on there and used the same did the exact same setup and none of my computers can join it's domain.

Now here's my setup.

Windows 2000 Advance Server
Behind a Linksys WRT54G router

I am not using windows DNS because I am using Dyndns.org to automatically keep me up to date with the ip, my router has the "auto sync" feat between dyndns.org and it.

It worked fine before...so i dont see why it doesnt work now.

mali.serveftp.net

that is my dyndns.

if you need more information go ahead ask away, and if you know the solution shoot away.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

10 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to Windows 2000 Active Direc ...

ah, you mention that your running W2K server with AD but say your not using DNS. There is the little matter of AD requiring DNS to work and even install. Computers on the LAN trying to log on to the domain over TCP/IP query looking for the DC. DNS provides that information. If computers on the LAN can't find the DC, they can't log on. Don't confuse Name resolution service for you public IP address from your ISP with name resolution service on the LAN. you need DNS services on your LAN.

Collapse -

by MMerchant In reply to

i see what your saying, however why is all of a sudden that i can't log on. i don't believe anything has changed except for the updates i may have installed(OS patches from windows update). so how can i fix this, should i install dns from the additional components in add/remove programs?

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to Windows 2000 Active Direc ...
Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to

if you find a solution of how to joing workstations to a domain without DNS running lemme know

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to

and if you find how you can install Active Directory without DNS service lemme know.

now if your not running Active Directory [but you say you are] and the workstations your trying to join to a workgroup are W9X and they won't join the workgroup then look to NetBIOS.
Othern than that, if you insist that your running W2K with Active Directory without DNS service then this is another case of "The Unanswerable Question" people seem to love to post in TechRepublic.

Collapse -

by MMerchant In reply to

sarcasim isnt helpful. i know u can't have ad w/out dns, however, mine worked w/out it. you honestly think i wouldve have posted a question here if i didn't think there was some sort or explination for it. honestly....

Collapse -

by voldar In reply to Windows 2000 Active Direc ...

If you would also delete the machine account (ADIC >computers > machine_name) from your AD, maybe you'll finally join the domain. About your statement - I have AD but not DNS, because I use other product, let me tell you something: while you install the AD, you are asked during the setup to setup and create DNS zones (forward and lookup zones). The fact that you use another DNS on your network, it's not my problem. So, DR is right there - I wish you good luck!

Collapse -

by voldar In reply to

ADIC = ADUC (Active Directory Users and Computers). Sorry, bad typo

Collapse -

by MMerchant In reply to

"not your problem" it's not but you gave an answer.

Collapse -

by MMerchant In reply to Windows 2000 Active Direc ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
10 total posts (Page 1 of 1)