General discussion

Windows 2000 advance server

By adrehman ·
I am using windows 2000 advance server. I want to run some applications at the time of startup of windows 2000. So I want to logon windows 2000 automatically without any human interaction.

Please let me know if there is any way.

Ad RehmanDeveloper
ZRG International
Adrehman@hotmail.com

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by rawright In reply to Windows 2000 advance serv ...

Win2K allows most applications to be run as services by using the srvany.exe tool. This is part of the Win2K Resource kit, and is installed by running srvinstw.exe. See Article Q267574 in the Knowledgebase for more details (http://support.microsoft.com).

Once an application is installed as a service, it can be configured to start at boot, even without a user logging on to the system.

Collapse -

by adrehman In reply to Windows 2000 advance serv ...

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by c-wundram In reply to Windows 2000 advance serv ...

There is an "autologon" feature in windows 2k server and adv. server, though it has changed slightly from 4.0 and is not documented.

To enable it, use regedit, and in the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon modify the following values.

set AutoAdminLogon to 1

set DefaultUserName to the user name you want the machine to log in as.

set DefaultDomainName to the domain name that the user is in, use the local machine name if it is a local account.
set DefaultPassword to the password of the user account.

Since the password will be stored in plain text in the registry, this isn't the most secure solution. So you probably should set the machine to auto log on as a highly privlidged user.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)