General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

Windows 2000 and Exchange 2000 Question?

by snarayanan ·

This related to win2k and e2k. I can’t seem to find an answer for my problem.
    My setup:
    2 DCs
    Single forest, single domain and single site.
    e2k member server has NNTP,SMTP and IIS installed.
    e2k member server can see the DNS and query for GC and DC servers which are the same.
    I am trying to install the e2k in of the member server that is connected to the domain. I first ran the forestPrep. When I came to the component window and selected ForestPrep action, I got the followingerror message:
    Exchange installation can not support the Component “ForestPrep” becuase:
    -You donot have the rights to manipulate the scheme or Schema server is busy.

I ran DcDiag.exe tool from the server where I want to install the e2k. The tool reports that it sees the Schema,GC, etc. and everything is passed. The account that I am using to do the ForestPrep is part of Shema admin, Enterprise admin and local admin groups. My guess is that I locked down some services. I couldn’t seem to find an answer for this problem. Any article or documentations treats ForestPrep as a routine task and didn’t elobrate on this type of error. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

by cportman ·

In reply to Windows 2000 and Exchange 2000 Question?

Run Forest Prep from your Domain Controller, then the rest of your install should work fine on the member server

cp

by joseph moore ·

Well, I found a TechNet article that says for ForestPrep to work, other than the account you are using belonging to all of the groups you listed, the Win2K server must be running the Remote Registry Service. Here is what the article says:
      “This issue can occur if the Remote Registry service is not running. To install correctly, Exchange 2000 must have remote access to the registry, even though Exchange 2000 is being installed locally.”

So, check Services and make sure Remote Registry Service is running on the Exchange box.

Hope this helps.
      PS: Article ID: Q274196
      http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q274/1/96.ASP

by snarayanan ·

This question was closed by the author

Viewing 2 reply threads