General discussion

Windows 2000 and HP Color Laser Jet 5M

By anejako ·
Dear All:

I am getting a Windows 2000 Professional machine ready for the user, and I am having this problem:

I cannot connect them to a networked HP Color LaserJet 5M. I can add the printer using the Add Printer Wizard, but after it has been set up, and the icon appears in the Printers folder, if you right-click to view Properties (so you can run a test page), you get the following error message:

Function addresss 0x68603e29 caused a protection fault (exception code 0xC0000005). Some or all property pages may not be displayed.

You can't print anything to the printer, either, from the Windows 2000 Professional computer. Other computers on our network (not Windows 2000 Professional) can print to the printer just fine.

Thanksin advance for your help.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by BeerMonster In reply to Windows 2000 and HP Color ...

I may be totally off course here... I had a problem with a networked HP printer that used a jet direct box, and was installed locally on several machines (IE not from a print server). I finally found the issue to be that on first use a file was created in the spool folder (system32\spool), which by default the user was not able to create. Try going in as administrator and seeing if you can print. If you can then log back in as the user and you'll probably find that things are ok. Hope this helps.

Collapse -

by anejako In reply to Windows 2000 and HP Color ...

sorry nice try though.

Collapse -

by IT_Instructor In reply to Windows 2000 and HP Color ...

You may need a firmware upgrade on the printer. Contact HP (1-800-752-0900 or 208-323-2551) to verify your firmware version.

The part number for the Formatter Upgrade Kit is C3961-67904.

Good luck!

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by jwilczyn In reply to Windows 2000 and HP Color ...

MSoft doesn?t say too much about this error( Q103147 it's rather AppleTalk).
Try to go to HP web side to obtain/download the latest driver for this printer. I think it may fix your problem.

Collapse -

sorry--they dont' support win 2k itself--you have to get the unidrivers. thanks anyway.

Collapse -

by vlad_ezh In reply to Windows 2000 and HP Color ...

From a microsoft:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q153/4/77.asp

The Spooler service is not configured to allow it to interact with the desktop.

In Control Panel, double-click the Services icon.
Click Spooler service and click the Startup button.
Verify that the service is configured to log on using the System account, and that it is allowed to interact with the desktop.

If invalid network printer port names appear in the list, they can be deleted from within Print Manager.

For more information on deleting network printer ports, see the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article:

Q125953How to Delete a Network Printer Port

Collapse -

Sorry. This was not the problem--it is configured to log on using the System account.

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Hardware Forum
9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)