General discussion

Windows 2000 and Office 97

By KBO ·
We have recently upgraded our desktop PCs to Windows 2000 (actually we cloned the PCs from images made from new Windows 2000 installations, not upgrades.) We are still running Office 97 applications. Since the operating system upgrade, we've had some users having problems with Access 97 databases and Excel 97 spreadsheets. An Access 97 user can no longer update her database (stored on network fileserver) using a database form. The database links to external Oracle tables, and the tables havebeen relinked using the latest Oracle ODBC driver. An Excel 97 user can not update a large Excel spreadsheet (also stored on the network.) Access rights on the server locations have been checked to be correct. The only new variable is the Windows2000 operating system on the PCs.
Does anyone know what causes this and how to fix it?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Joseph Moore In reply to Windows 2000 and Office 9 ...

For the Access database form problem, it sounds like the ODBC drivers for Oracle are not fully Win2K compliant. I would delete the existing ODBC connection to the Oracle server, then search Oracle's web site for Win2K ODBC drivers. Set up a new ODBClink to your Oracle server with these new drivers. That should take care of that.
As for the Excel spreadsheet, more info is needed.

hope this helps

Collapse -

by KBO In reply to Windows 2000 and Office 9 ...

Although the problem turned out to be not specifically an ODBC driver issue, I accepted this answer because the problem was Oracle-related. A programmer in our dept. told me the non-Oracle Access 97 table could not be updated from a form that uses a view linking Oracle tables with Access tables. The programmer was able to create a new view and query to fix the problem. (I don't know why the user thought she could update the database before her PC was changed to Windows 2000!) The Excel 97 problem is related to the PC OS upgrade to W2K. The spreadsheet has VB Scripts created under Win98, and apparently those have to be recreated under W2K before they can save changes to the spreadsheet. At least, that's what I was told by someone who knows more about Excel than I do! We're finding that using Office 97 products under Windows 2000 is not a good idea. Thanks for the help.

Collapse -

by KBO In reply to Windows 2000 and Office 9 ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Software Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)