General discussion

Windows 2000 and rebooting

By zlitocook ·
I have flashed the bios, replaced the CDRW, replaced the cables, replaced the CPU cooling fan, reinstalled Win2000, uncheck DMA, downed a six pack and tried every thing MS had in their KB!
It has 512 mem, two HD, I backed up the C drive and installed a new 500 gig drive, I put in a new cdrw drive, I removed and put the memory back in, I ran mem test on the memory with no problems.
I found a bottle of wine and installed it in me.
Then I went through all of the FIC's FAQ?s about the mainboard.
This was a post that I had before, about this system rebooting after opening some programs. I thought that it might be virus related or power a related problem.
The system has a 330 power supply and seem to do great with other devices.
The computer has one cdrw, one zip drive, two HD, and one floppy drive.
One gotcha is the installation of sp4.
Help.
I will install wife 2.0 next if I do not get any help!

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

16 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by jon In reply to Windows 2000 and rebootin ...

What you didn't do is make the problem clear to us.

You are running Windows 2000 server or pro?

Make sure your two drives are together on the same ide channel and that their settings are either Cable-select or master/slave dependent upon the particular configuration.

Firstly, remove the initial drive completely and install windows. Make sure it works without your backup drive. If it does, then attach the old drive. If it fails at that point, it's either the detection of the drive position on the chain, or it's getting confused by the two disks having boot sectors. Add that older drive as a USB external drive to see if you can access it.

Once you can, if that's the solution, move what you need to the system drive and wipe out the older drive.

Collapse -

by zlitocook In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by santoshthorvatkar In reply to Windows 2000 and rebootin ...

Hi,

I have redden all.

Do boot ur system with dos or 98 bootable n check if it restarts. The restarting problem likely comes with the memory. if problem persist remove the M/B out of CAB and start the PC.If anything doesnt work undo the last change u had done with the system.

Wish will help u.

Regards,

Collapse -

by zlitocook In reply to

Collapse -

by Gigelul In reply to Windows 2000 and rebootin ...

I had the same issue with two PCs, few months ago.
My conclusion was that the problem comes from the mainboard (the capacitors were a little bit swollen, 3-4 years old mainboard)

Collapse -

by zlitocook In reply to

Collapse -

by ICB's corner In reply to Windows 2000 and rebootin ...

Maybe it a good ideea to link the reboot to increasing temperature in computer case. Then temperatures of cpu and motherboard ...
If you have problem with motherboard's capacitors, you can identify that by a specific smell which came from insulator of capacitor. It can be fixed by removing old capacitors and replacing.

Collapse -

by zlitocook In reply to

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to Windows 2000 and rebootin ...

reboots all the time?

try booting to safe mode see what happens

might consider a larger power supply.

Forget the wine and beer. it's Wine Women and Song.

Collapse -

by zlitocook In reply to

Back to Hardware Forum
16 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next