General discussion

Windows 2000 and Remote Installation Ser

By leonerandazzo ·
I create a test environment for deploying Windows 2000 Server and Professional. I try to use the Remote Installation Services (RIS) technology for install Windows 2000 Professional (automatic or custom installation).
The question is: it is possibleto make this installation as an upgrade on the Windows 9x rather than repartitionning and formatting the disk ?!?
Thank you for all.
Leone Randazzo.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by dft3 In reply to Windows 2000 and Remote I ...

You can't upgrade from Windows 9x to Windows Professional.

You can, however, install them on the same drive, partition, separate partition or another drive as a dual-boot. Windows Professional, technically isn't the upgrade to the 9x generation of Windows operating systems. It is actually the 5.0 version of NT Workstation.

What you're trying to do is the equivalent of upgrading Windows 9x to NT Workstation 4.0 and that never was intended to be.

You do not have to format and repartition anything. You can install Professional on the same partition as long as you don't put it in the same directory that you have the 9x operating sytem installed on or you can simply install in onto another partitition that already exists. In either case, you'll be able to successfully run a dual-boot without any problems.

I hope this helps. Feel free to email me if you need further assistance.

Collapse -

by leonerandazzo In reply to Windows 2000 and Remote I ...

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

by kellyst In reply to Windows 2000 and Remote I ...

Actually as you probably know you can do an upgrade from Win9x, but I don't know the answer to your question

Collapse -

Collapse -

by jesselou In reply to Windows 2000 and Remote I ...

you can upgrade your windows 9x to windows 2000 professional using the fat32 partition in order to access windows 2000 prof,however
you cannot enjoy the full features of the w2k professional particularly its security features unless you choose the option of converting your disk partition to ntfs 5.0.

Collapse -

Collapse -

by rawright In reply to Windows 2000 and Remote I ...

I installed Win2k over Win95 many months ago without any problem. It successfully found all of my applications & drivers, retained all of my personal settings and passwords, and identified most of my hardware correctly. It even repaired a few items that never worked correctly on Win95! I can think of no reason why this couldn't be done remotely, especially as I was well topped off with liquid courage when I upgraded. By the way, it's never crashed since, and I never turn it off. Nice product for a change! There was no need to repartition, but I let it reformat to NTFS, and there was no data loss. Good Luck!

Collapse -

Collapse -

This question was auto closed due to inactivity

Back to Windows Forum
9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)