General discussion

Windows 2000 and Windows ME

By djo_djoantunes ·
Hello everybody.
I want to connect my windows 2000 computer to a portable computer that's runnig windows ME. I want to connect them using a crossed wire and a lan.
What are the procedures to make them work properly, i.e., being able to acess either's computer shared folders.
I've tried before to connec them but I only can acess the shared folders in the portable computer but I can't access the shared folders in the other pc from the portable.
I hope you understand my question.
Thanks for any assistance

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by mike.lee In reply to Windows 2000 and Windows ...

Hi, I think I might know what your problem is... If you can see both computers then your network connection is fine. However I am hedging a bet that the Windows 2000 computer is formatted using NTFS. Windows 3.1/95/98/ and ME cannot see NTFS partitions. This is a security feature of an NT domain as not to allow for DOS to interact with the protected file system. This is a problem only when connecting directly from one computer to another. You can eliminate this if you use a Workgroup or Domain.Then Right Click on the Volume and select sharing. Make sure your folders are shared out and then you should be able to map drives between them. Good luck and I hope this solves your problem.

Collapse -

by djo_djoantunes In reply to Windows 2000 and Windows ...

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

by tim_vogt In reply to Windows 2000 and Windows ...

ME IS A HOME SYS. IT WILL NOT SEE ALL THE FILES.WIN2000 HAS SOFTWARE THAT HANDLE IT. SEE IF YOU CAN LOAD WIN 2000 ON THAT SYS.

Collapse -

Collapse -

by jodanser In reply to Windows 2000 and Windows ...

the w2k machine must have a user account setup on it with the same name and password that you are using to log on to the laptop. then set the appropriate permissions on the w2k shared folders for the ME username.

Collapse -

Collapse -

This question was auto closed due to inactivity

Back to Windows Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)