General discussion

Windows 2000 as VPN server

By Abbasi ·
Folks, i have windows 2000 server with cable internet connection on it. I tried to install VPN on this server and selected network card connected with cable internet. I did the installation successfuly, but now my internet is not working. I have dynamic IP addressing from my isp. Can any body advise me how to fix it. Thanx

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by sgt_shultz In reply to Windows 2000 as VPN serve ...

i think VPN it is not going to work with the double NAT you have because of dynamic addressing from your isp. at least to my understanding of things. just remove the vpn connection you made and maybe all will be well?

Collapse -

by Abbasi In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by omie In reply to Windows 2000 as VPN serve ...

VPN works on static IP address. It is not just static IP but it should be a public IP address.

Cable internet connection are local IP and not necesarily public IP so you can't use that IP in configuring your VPN.

The best way to do is go back to the original configuartions... but if you really need the VPN running contact your ISP and lease public IP's to you terminal and they would allow VPN tunnelling on their router using the public IP assigned to you.Again this entails additional monthly premium and upgrade their service from home to commercial.. :)

Good Luck

Collapse -

by Abbasi In reply to

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to Windows 2000 as VPN serve ...

should work but it all depends upon how clients are going to find you. VPN works with dialup, Cable/DSL/T lines, what not. So here's the deal. Remote access clients have to find you and they do that either with your IP address or your FQDN. If you have a dynamic IP, the only draw back is when your ISP decides to change it and you don't know. Same holds true with your FQDN. Now for those with dynamically assigned IP addresses, one can use a 3rd party DNS service with a client program which automatically updates their DNS servers with your IP address. I use Constanttime.com.

As far as your internet not working, give us some more info like PING, and any errors that show up in the event viewer. Configuring RAS to use a NIC for inbound/outbound communications shouldn't interfere with "other" communications.

Tell us what error codes show up in the event viewer and how your configured RRAS.

Collapse -

by Abbasi In reply to

Collapse -

by Abbasi In reply to Windows 2000 as VPN serve ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)