General discussion

Windows 2000 Automated Log-Off

By ben ·
Any assistance appricated - sorry about the level of detail but I think its required...

My users (7-10) are running Windows 2000 Professional in a domain administered by a Windows 2000 Server. They connect to a Filemaker Pro database, that the server hosts.

Nightly, I run a backup to tape. This backup will only succeed if ALL users have closed their copies of Filemaker Pro - basically logged off their machines. Despite my best efforts to enforce a "Log Off Before You Leave" policy, there are inevitable offenders and my backup fails half the time.

I could force a log off at a certain time - BUT we frequently have staff working very late/early. It would not be fair to restrict log-on hours. As the backup takes 5+ hours to complete, I need to start it at about midnight or 1 o'clock and yes, we do have occasions where people need to work at this time.

I can stand the backup failing on the odd occasion because of people working - but not just because people have not loggedoff. I am not around at these times - I work 9-5 so I cannot manually adjust all this stuff on an ad-hoc basis, and I rarely know when someone is going to need to work late. What I need is to allow ALL my users the ability to override the automatic log-off. Is there a way of doing this? I suppose it would be a popup dialog saying... "You will be logged off in 1 minute unless you click here!" with a countdown or something, that appears at say. 11pm. But how..?

Ideas most welcome!

Ben.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Parbo In reply to Windows 2000 Automated Lo ...

Use the macro scheduler from http://www.mjtnet.com/ They have an option to shutdown the system. I'm very sure you can adjust the macro somehow or have someone that knows more about it to modify it so it has some type of counter (maybe a VBscript).

Collapse -

by ben In reply to Windows 2000 Automated Lo ...

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by BeerMonster In reply to Windows 2000 Automated Lo ...

In your position, I would use logoff.exe from the reskit. You will need to schedule a job to run, say, 15 mins before your backup on each of the users machines. As theres only a few that shouldn't be a major task. Schedule using AT with the /interactive switch (not sure but task scheduler may well provide the same functionality) so that the process can access the users session. write a batch file (maybe using choice.exe from the reskit) or preferaby a VB script (gives you a nicer gui for the users) that gives them a get out chance before it calls logoff. Hope this helps

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by DRDON In reply to Windows 2000 Automated Lo ...

You did not say what backup software your are using. St Bernard Software has an open files agent that may provide you the ability to backup open files on the File Maker server. The software and file storage area will be able to be backed up while users are logged in. The user at night may notice the system being slower while the files are being backed up.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)