General discussion

windows 2000 backup fails... why?

By diesomber ·
Hello,
We've been running Backup on a w2kserver running SQL7 without a hitch for a while... it's a Monday through Friday schedule doing a complete backup of crucial drives plus system state... normal backup, overwriting data and verifying. Lately, the verifies started blowing out, and even after turning that off, the backups continue to fail every night due to:

Error: The device reported an error on a request to write data to media.

and

Error: Timeout before function completed.

Like I said, the backups were running smooth, now this... any ideas? Thanks!!!

cb.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Maelgwyn In reply to windows 2000 backup fails ...

Check the tapes - they might not be wound right back - aslo check with new tapes

Collapse -

by diesomber In reply to windows 2000 backup fails ...

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

by teichej In reply to windows 2000 backup fails ...

You don't say if you are using a cleaning tape. Dirty heads will give an error even with new tapes. Try running a cleaning tape 2 times and then run your backup.

Collapse -

Collapse -

by BlackFlash In reply to windows 2000 backup fails ...

I have encountered a similar problem to this where the backup unit would report that it is having problems accessing the data and that there had been a reduction in the performance of the tape. In the event logs I found an error relations to /device/0 Tape had a bad block or something along those lines. I ran a cleaning tape about 6 times and the unit performed fine.

Another problem was when the back unit reported a time out and ended the backup. This was related to the SCSI time out period or semaphore time out period that is usually about 30 seconds by default if using the default tape drivers that come with NT/2K. The suggested fix was to install the correct vendor tape device drivers for the DAT/DLT unit that should increase thescsi time out period to a few minutes. In my case I had a Seagate DDS 3 External tape unit that was timing out, and once I installed the Seagate.dat tape driver file it increased the timeout period to 5 minutes.

You may also want to check out www.veritas.com and look up tech article id:191158. This is where I started on diagnosing the problems I have experienced with tape drive timeouts.

Collapse -

Collapse -

This question was auto closed due to inactivity

Back to Desktop Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)