General discussion

windows 2000 boot problem

By filipofrank ·
MY WINDOWS MACHINE WOUNT BOOT WHEN I START MY PC IT HUNGS AT WHERE THE SYSTEM IS BOOTING TO WINDOWS AND YOU HAVE AN OPTION TO PRESS F8, THAT IS WHERE IT HUNGS.I TRIED TO REPAIR THE INSTALLATION BY BOOTING WIHT CD, BUT THE SYSTEM COULD NOT FINED ANY WINDOWS INSTTALLATION TO REPAIR WHAT SHOULD I DO WITHOUT FORMATING THE HDD.I NEED THOSE DATA ON THE HDD.
PLEASE HELP.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by michael.burgess In reply to windows 2000 boot problem

If worse comes to worse reinstall windows over the present installation.

What have you changed recently to make this problem appear?

Collapse -

by dmiles In reply to windows 2000 boot problem

Using a win98 startup disk insert in floppy drive and boot computer,select the option to boot without cd rom support this will load the system files,once process eject the disk and boot computer,check for updated video card drivers for your system,also change the boot process back to hard disk drive as first option

Collapse -

by abcs In reply to windows 2000 boot problem

If you need the data files since you apparently don't have a backup, I would install a second harddrive in the computer, and I would then use a Windows 98 startup disk to boot the system. Then you could copy the datafiles over to the other hard drive to at least have your data. Then if you have to format the harddrive you could, and then reinstall the software and then copy the data files back to the appropriate folders.

Collapse -

by carquiza In reply to windows 2000 boot problem

Hi,

For this kind of problem I always think that a floppy boot disk is very handy and also a bootable CD I think Windows 2000 installation disk can make a bootdisk for you.

If you have install your Windows 2000 on the root and I am sure that you have a partition you can always reinstall it again overwrite your installation or if you have ERD (Emergency Repair Disk) so much the better.

If the hardisk is formatted as FAT32 or NTFS you might need a second hardisk to work around in getting your files just to be safe.

Need a Windows NT installation specially with Service Pack 4 can read an NTFS or FAT32 formatted hardisk.

I am sure you can able to retrieve your files.
Hope this helps.

Collapse -

by HereInOz In reply to windows 2000 boot problem

Probably the best way around this, similar to what has been written above, is to get a second hard drive, and make it the master drive, making your original as the slave. This can be done with either the jumpers on the disks or with the cables, depending on your setup.

Install Windows2000 on the new hard drive, then boot into that newly installed system. This should allow you (provided you have administrator priviledges) to access the data folders on the old drive ( by taking ownership of the folders) and copy across your data to the new installation.

What you do after that is a matter of preference - leave the new system on that disk and re-build all the applications on the new disk, (preferable, as the old disk may have a problem), or reformat the old disk and re-install Windows on that and copy your data back to it, or whatever.

The main thing is to create a new Windows2000 installation on a new disk to access your data on the old one.

Cheers,

Alan

Back to Desktop Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)