General discussion

Windows 2000 broken mirror problem

By dschwer ·
Hello

Here is my problem. I currently havr a Windows 2000 Server with 3 partions. \Boot \Apps \Clients There are 2 Hard drives in the server. Both drives are configured as dynamic disks. The server is running in a domain envirement. The \Apps directory was mirrored on both drives. Somehow the \boot partition was corrupt and I had to reinstall the OS. Unfortunately I could not break the mirror beforehand. After reinstall the computer asked me to break the mirror since one of the drives was corrupt. So I did. Unfortunately after this it showed the apps directory as ACCESS DENIED. Looking further into this I noticed that there was a bunch of unreadable user permissions in the security tab, so I added everyone to the list, gave them full rights and removed all the unreadable ones. I was now able to access some of the files on the drive but not all of them. These files say access denied as well and there is no owner of these files and I cant change ownership. I need these files badly as I have no backup of these anymore

Thanks

Dale

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by dschwer In reply to Windows 2000 broken mirro ...

The actual error I get when I try to open these files is Access denied File may be in use

Collapse -

by CptOmlly In reply to Windows 2000 broken mirro ...

Well... from what you describe, I don't think this has anything to do with the broken mirror at all. This sounds like a basic NTFS permissions issue. When you reinstalled Win2K you lost all security tables which associate your various user ID's to their SID's. When you see the SID (that unreadable number similar to this: {S-425874-252462473-1414}), it means that there are permissions there, but the O/S cannot resolve those SID's to usernames for whatever reason.

I would recommend that you open all affected local drives/partitions to root and take ownership with the local Administrator account making sure to check "apply to all files and subfolders" option. Then verify that both Administrator account and the Local Administrators group are in the ACL with full control (again on the root level). Open advanced options and check the "Reset permissions on all child objects ..." option, then click apply. This should reset the ACL's for all subfiles and folders all the way down the directory structure. This should allow you to access the files and reset the ACL's as desired.

Hope this helps

I would recommend that you open all affected local drives/partitions to root and take ownership with the Administrator account making sure to check "apply to all files and subfolders" option. Then verify that both Administrator account and the Local Administrators group are in the ACL with full control (again on the root level). Open advanced options and check the "Reset permissions on all child objects ..." option, then click apply. This should reset the ACL's for all subfiles and folders all the way down the directory structure. This should allow you to access the files and reset the ACL's as desired.

Collapse -

by CptOmlly In reply to

Oops... Ignore that last paragraph.

Collapse -

by dschwer In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by dschwer In reply to Windows 2000 broken mirro ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)