General discussion

Windows 2000 clients seem to hang

By victor ·
I have a Windows 2000 domain with mixed Win9x and Win2K clients. My Win98 clients can logon with no problems. My Win2K clients seem to hang at the "Applying your personal settings." This phase of the logon process takes approx. 2 to 5 minutes andI can't figure out why. When I remove the logon batch file, the box loads up quickly, but as soon as I add the batch file, it goes back to the long startup! Is there a fix for this? Your help is greatly appreciated.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by curlergirl In reply to Windows 2000 clients seem ...

You've already figured out that it's the login script that's causing the problem - now you just need to do a little detective work. There's got to be something in the script that is causing the behavior - possibly a resource that's unavailable or doesn't work correctly with Win2K, or something referencing a program file or location that is not used or not available to the Win2K machines. Try modifying the script line by line - REM out everything except the first line, and then add back in therest of the lines one line at a time - until you can identify which line exactly is causing the problem. I'll bet when you get to that point, the cause will be obvious or at least a lot easier to fix. Hope this helps!

Collapse -

by victor In reply to Windows 2000 clients seem ...

Actually, I should've been more specific. I have already done some troubleshooting on the issue and have found out that the system seems to "hang" for a while even before the script runs. The script runs rather quickly when the system actually gets to it. I hope I have explained the issue better now.

Collapse -

by ccsbz In reply to Windows 2000 clients seem ...

? are you running script from startup or from 2000, with 95/98 systems. or Win2000 profile script. running a script remote from workstatiopn is easiest. server profile longer.

Collapse -

The problem was DNS. My DHCP server was not issuing the correct IP address of the DNS server to the clients thus causing the "hang." Once the problem was corrected, the script ran fine and the machines logged on normally. Thanks for all the input!

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)