General discussion

Windows 2000 COA Stickers

By squashie ·
Hi all,

Right i'm kind of confused and am looking for some help.

Basically i bought a couple of new Dell computers for the business which come with Windows XP home edition installed. I only use windows 2000 pro as it's so stable but the problem is, i bought a couple of COA Stickers with the product keys which have been taken from other computers.

Now none of the keys work when i install windows 2000 and i have a key which isn't from these stickers but if i stick these stickers on the side will this make it legit? Or do i need the CD with the stickers?

Please let me know what you think,

Josh

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

COA stickers

by Info-Safety, LLC In reply to Windows 2000 COA Stickers

Software on CDs typically can only be unlocked by one key -- the one that came with it. COAs should give you the right to install on an additional computer for each COA, assuming they are not already in use elsewhere. If these came from a legit vendor, you may be ok, otherwise???

Craig Herberg

Collapse -

OEM vs Retail

by plus3db In reply to Windows 2000 COA Stickers

For some reason, MS makes two different releases of it's software - Retail and OEM. The keys on the COA are different, so you cannot use an OEM COA with a Retail CD or a Retail COA with an OEM CD. I would venture a guess that this is what's getting in your way. If the CD is emblazened with the phrase "For distribution with a new PC only" then it's an OEM CD - otherwise, it's a reatil CD. Most COAs you buy without media (well, USED to buy, since they're now illegal) are OEM, and will not work with a retail install. Find yourself an OEM CD, and you're in business.

Collapse -

Actually M$ makes 3 kinds of OS

by HAL 9000 Moderator In reply to OEM vs Retail

The first and the one M$ wants everyone to buy is the Retail One and then there is the OEM one that comes with pre-built computers and finally there is the Volume License version which uses different product keys again.

Now if you had XP Pro already installed on your new units you could quite legally load any previous version of Windows onto them without the need to pay for anything what so ever.

IN all probability the extra COA's that you have brought are for Volume License Product ands they will simply not work with either Retail or OEM distributions.

I hope that helps you out with what exactly is going on with the COA's. But to your other part of the question it all depends on what you are installing from if they are Retail you will in all likely hood be OK, if they are OEM it would be touch and go, If they where Volume License not a problem and finally if they are a bulk loaded OS from Dell, HP, Gateway or who ever I wouldn't even consider risking it in a business environment.

Just buy a couple of OEM XP Pro CD's stick the COA's on the boxes and then you can load whatever you like without a problem. If you are using them at home you'll in all likely hood get away with it without a problem , but for business the few $ that you might save will very rapidly be eaten up when M$ comes out and does a software survey and then you'll be paying massive fines just to settle out of court for the privilege of using Win 2000 Pro.

Col ]:)

Collapse -

D'oh!

by plus3db In reply to Actually M$ makes 3 kinds ...

You're right, of course. There are more than two - or even three - flavors, now that I think of it ... education, corporate, volume ... prolly more than that, even.

I haven't tried it, but I've heard from a reliable source that an XP key will work with 2K. Maybe I heard wrong, or was mis-informed, but that's what I've heard.

Collapse -

Seperate COA not legal now !!!!!!

by bdaveandellie In reply to Windows 2000 COA Stickers

{This item is taken from www.coder.com site and relates to the sale of COA}
The federal Anti-Counterfeiting Amendments Act of 2003 was signed into law by President Bush on Dec. 23, 2004. It provides for criminal and civil penalties for the distribution of genuine standalone Certificate of Authenticity (COA) labels or authentic COA labels that are separated from the software they were intended to certify.

In addition to sending cease-and-desist letters to targets of the test purchase program -- thousands of system builders and resellers -- Microsoft sent an additional round of letters in January alerting them to the passage of the new legislation and warning them of the illegality of distributing standalone or separated COA labels.

"There is only one purpose for distributing standalone COA labels: to falsely make infringing software appear legitimate. The federal law makes this deceptive practice now clearly illegal," MacNaughton said. "It closes a perceived legal loophole and allows us to more effectively protect the channel and consumers who deserve to receive the genuine product they believe they are acquiring."

Collapse -

win2000 problem

by ac58 In reply to Windows 2000 COA Stickers

after installing win2000, there are always many issues with devices until you download microsoft's service pack 4. That will solve many similar issues such as you described.

Collapse -

stickers relate to oem supplier

by dagreest In reply to Windows 2000 COA Stickers

Most of the oem provided coa stickers have an oem name on them such as dell or emachines.

These codes are related to the bios on the motherboard to cut down on activations so a dell machine normally doesn't need reactivating via telephone with microsoft if the oem coa is from dell, the normal internet activation should work ok.

If you have problems phone microsoft, create an error during your activation by telephone so you get to speak to a person, then explain that you have changed the configuration of the machine to which the coa sticker is attached.

They'll ask if the machine was supplied by an oem and that the liscense has only been used on one pc. Once you confirm that thats the case they'll provide you with an activation code.

Back to Windows Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)