General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

windows 2000 command prompt

by northwood ·

In Advanced startup OPtions, there is an option to boot to a command prompt. Is this command prompt a true DOS enviroment or is it a virtual machine of DOS?

The reason I ask is becuas in Windows 98, you can boot to a real DOS enviroment.

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

by dmiles ·

In reply to windows 2000 command prompt

Yes it is a true DOS enviroment

The true DOS enviroment can also be accessed by clicking on Start->Run,type CMD in the box

by timwalsh ·

I’m sorry to have to dispute SoulRider, but there is no true DOS environment in Win2K. Unlike Win98 (which is actually running on top of DOS), this is not the case with Win2K. What you are actually seeing is a 32-bit DOS emulator called cmd.exe. Cmd.exe is what you are running when you choose “Safe Mode with Command Prompt” from Advanced startup options. Also when you lauch DOS programs from within Win2k, they are actually run in a virtual DOS machine.
      Although what you see looks like DOS and (for the most part) acts like DOS, it isn’t true DOS.

by kevinoneill ·

I agree with Tim, Win2k is not a DOS based program as was 95/98. It does have a command prompt but if you notice when you install Win2k it will not allow you to install from Dos like when you are using a Win98 start-up disk and you are fdisking yourhard drive you have to come completely out of DOS before Win2k will allow you to install it.

by northwood ·

This question was closed by the author

Viewing 3 reply threads