General discussion

Windows 2000 Custom Start Menus

By tlacher ·
Here at my company, we are using Netware Servers and Windows 95 desktops. We are able to point users' start menus to a common folder on the network using the Poledit.exe policy program. As we transfer our desktop operating system to Windows 2000, I find that we are unable to duplicate this process using Windows 2000 group polices. I have attempted to use the Windows 2000 server version of Poledit.exe, but I have been unsuccessful. Does anyone have any experience with this situation, or can offer any suggestions.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by ross.bale In reply to Windows 2000 Custom Start ...

You need to use the Microsoft Management Console, with a snap-in called Local Computer Policy, to get at it, Start, Run, mmc. Select Add/Remove snapin from the Console menu, and then click add, and pick Local Compter Policy. There is an option to disable changes to the Start Menu (User Configuration, Administrative Templates, Start Menu & Taskbar), which removes and disables the option from setings. Then you could setup your menus how you want, once you have them, enable this option. nb. This does not remove the option when logged in with administrative privs. Hope this helps !

Collapse -

by tlacher In reply to Windows 2000 Custom Start ...

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by tlacher In reply to Windows 2000 Custom Start ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)