General discussion

Windows 2000: data1.msi install package

By pcgtokyo ·
I am running Windows 2000 on a Dell Laptop. Since recently, everytime I startup my computer I automatically get a dialog box entitled 'Windows Installer' with the text: "The feature you are trying to use is on a CD-ROM or other removable disk that is not available. Insert the 'Microsoft FrontPage 2000' disk and click OK." When I insert my FrontPage 2000 or any other disk, I get the message "The file 'd:\FrontPage 2000\' is not a valid installation package for the product Microsoft FrontPage 2000. Try to find the installation package 'data1.msi' in a folder from which you can install Microsoft FrontPage 2000."

Any suggestions to solve this problem would be very much appreciated.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by jschein In reply to Windows 2000: data1.msi i ...

Have had this happen on a few machines... The end user installs something or changes a feature.

Our fix was to logon as an ADMIN, have the office cd1 in the drive, and if it does not find it, browse to it and select it.

The other way is to be logged in as an admin, hit cancel, insert offeice setup cd, and do a repair / re-install all. That should do it.

Good luck.

Collapse -

by gdh19701 In reply to Windows 2000: data1.msi i ...

You mention you are using a laptop, but failed to advise if you use a docking station. Does this issue occur if you are docked vs. undocked (at work vs. at home/on the road? Do you have to select a hardware profile to use upon startup? This may also be the cause for your problem.

One other solution is if you are connecting to a network, you may need to have the network share drive (re)mapped in order for this installation to complete correctly.

Hope this helps

Collapse -

by silverchicken In reply to Windows 2000: data1.msi i ...

Update your MSinstaller.exe, you can get the latest from Microsoft.
If you recently added a service pack to your machine, some of the .dll's do not get updated correctly. I have used this fix to correct a similar problem in about 30 machines.

Back to Windows Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)