General discussion

Windows 2000 DHCP Hanging

By RMac03053 ·
I have a Windows 2000 DHCP server which is configured to serve a single address to a single PC over a vlan. The user gets on ok, but once they leave their machine cannot pull the address again (once the lease time is up). While checking the server I noticed that the address does not show up leased (in the lease window), but when I check the stats for the scope, it show that no addresses are available. Any ideas?

Cheers,

Mac

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by BFilmFan In reply to Windows 2000 DHCP Hanging

What is the lease period?

Clients attempt to refresh DHCP leases at 50, 75, 87.5 and at 100% of the lease period. They also attempt it once at the end of the grace period.

Check your settings and make sure that you don't have a refresh period that is longer than the lease.

Collapse -

by RMac03053 In reply to

Ok, I am new using this side of the interface so please be patient. The lease time is 30 minutes. However, I am not familiar with any setting associated with a "refresh" time. I presumed, perhaps wrongly, that the system did this piece automatically.

Cheers,

Mac

Collapse -

by RMac03053 In reply to Windows 2000 DHCP Hanging

The lease period is set for 30 minutes on the server. I am not sure about this refresh setting. I looked through my machine and the server and could not find a spot where that is set.

However, I am not sure how that might hurt a single user in with a single address. In other words, if the owner of the IP address ask for a renewal, and the address has not been served to another user, then they should be issued the address for another lease period? Or am I mistaken?

Cheers,

Mac

Collapse -

by toahiyo In reply to Windows 2000 DHCP Hanging

the best way would probably set the dhcp to release the ip address if the ip is not used after a specific period which you know will not happen...otherwise give the user a static ip address

Collapse -

by RMac03053 In reply to

toahiyo,

Thanks for the response. The problem persists when the IP address is released at the server. That is after the release, the address cannot be leased again. We have to delete the scope for that vlan and rebuild it.

Regards,

Mac

Collapse -

by RMac03053 In reply to Windows 2000 DHCP Hanging

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)