General discussion

Windows 2000 Dial-up Networking Problem

By mkrieger ·
Is there anyway to recover, short of a complete re-installation of the OS, from the Win2k Dial-up networking becoming corrupt?

Anytime I click on the properties of an existing dial-up network account, attempt to make a new connection, or even tryto use my ISPs software to make a connection to the Internet, these applications never respond, and I have to reboot the workstation to regain any functionality.

I cannot find anywhere on Technet or Microsoft's web-site on how to recover or even re-install Dial-up networking on Win2k.

Any help is greatly appreciates. Thanks!

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by spn In reply to Windows 2000 Dial-up Netw ...

OK have you tried to remove and reinstall DUN?
This can be done in the control panel in add remaove programs.
Select add remove windows components>utilities and accesories>communications.
Give that a try!
I^ll give you more ideas if that doesnt work.
SPiNner

Collapse -

by mkrieger In reply to Windows 2000 Dial-up Netw ...

I believe the options you are referring to is in Windows 95\98. I need assistance with Windows 2000. These options you mention do not exist in the windows components section of Win2k.

Collapse -

by spn In reply to Windows 2000 Dial-up Netw ...

Sorry I looked at my Win2k help file:

To add or remove a Windows 2000 component

Open Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel.
Click Add/Remove Windows Components.
Follow the instructions in the Windows Components wizard.
Notes

You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group in order to complete this procedure. If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings may also prevent you from completing this procedure.
To open a ControlPanel item, click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click the appropriate icon.
Certain Windows Components require configuration before they can be used. If you installed one or more of these components, but did not configure them, when you click Add/Remove Windows Components, a list of components that need to be configured is displayed. To configure a component, click Configure, and then follow the instructions on the screen. To add a new component, click Components, and follow the instructions in the Windows Components wizard.

If thats not sorry dude
Keep well any way and hope it works out
:-)

Collapse -

by mkrieger In reply to Windows 2000 Dial-up Netw ...

Thanks for trying.

Unfortunatley, the Dial-up Networking Installation is not an option under the Windows Component Wizard in Windows 2000 Professional.

Collapse -

by viet.chu In reply to Windows 2000 Dial-up Netw ...

Try uninstalling the TCPIP protocol completely (you might have to also uninstall some supporting Win2K IP services first). You shouldn't lose any of your DUN setup, but make notes of the configs just in case. If after re-installing and it still doesn't work, you'd at least have ruled out Layer 3/4 as an issue.

Good luck!

Back to Windows Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)