General discussion

Windows 2000 domain & down level clients

By tom.morris ·
My company is in the first stages of planning a migration strategy from a Windows NT 4.0 structure to Windows 2000.

I have read enought to be familiar with the concept of mixed and native modes for the domain. If I am correct, when I upgrade my PDC to Windows 2000 and run dcpromo, my domain then becomes a W2K domain running in mixed mode. It is my understanding that any downlevel clients and NT member servers will continue to function properly in a mixed mode.

My question, though, is this...is there any overwhelming reason to hurry the migration of my client PC's from Windows NT to Windows 2000 or XP? I am looking for valid reasons from a network admins point of view.

Thanks for your responses.

Tom Morris
MCSE

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by McKayTech In reply to Windows 2000 domain & dow ...

Other than the workstations from which you will be managing the domain, I don't see a compelling reason to migrate except that I really do like Windows2000 from a hardware support and stability point of view. There are certain security and operations benefits to having a native mode Windows2000 domain, but most of my colleagues with mixed-mode are planning on having it in place for quite awhile.

But XP?? Argh........

paul

Collapse -

by tom.morris In reply to Windows 2000 domain & dow ...

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

by @lberto In reply to Windows 2000 domain & dow ...

Windows 2000 has a lot of beneficts, security reasons, a lot of drivers are being written for W2K. It is endeed steady and with the latest Service pack it works just fine. Before it had some problems with spoolers, security and stuff but it is now very good. On the other hand Windows NT is as strong as a bull, so if you're planning to get more users, to enhanced your security you should go for it.
About XP, no thanks.
@lberto

Collapse -

Collapse -

by pikikoko In reply to Windows 2000 domain & dow ...

From a network admins point of view stay in mixed mode. Why very simple. Once you leave mixed mode you cannot go back. This is too high a price to pay for leaving mixed mode.
Stay in mixed mode as long as you have nt4 machines on your network. Whatyou could to is build two test machines and run them in mixed mode then upgrade them and see what happens. I think you will see for yourself the problems this upgrade creates.
Good luck.
Mike

Collapse -

Collapse -

by pikikoko In reply to Windows 2000 domain & dow ...

From a network admins point of view stay in mixed mode. Why very simple. Once you leave mixed mode you cannot go back. This is too high a price to pay for leaving mixed mode.
Stay in mixed mode as long as you have nt4 machines on your network. Whatyou could to is build two test machines and run them in mixed mode then upgrade them and see what happens. I think you will see for yourself the problems this upgrade creates.
Good luck.
Mike

Collapse -

Collapse -

This question was auto closed due to inactivity

Back to Networks Forum
9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)